Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2009 01:00

Ndmp backup restored on Windows System

Hello everybody,

We're gonna moving our cluster file server Windows (hosted on CX3-40) to our new Unified Storage Celerra NS-480.

First question: How can I move my data? Only via network?

Second Question: Our File Server backup now consists in 6TB of data volume and 4,5 millions of files, so we'd like to implement Ndmp in the future (on Celerra) in order to reduce backup time.

Can I restore my NDMP backup on a Windows system? On our DR site we don't have any ndmp appliance (only a DataDomain VTL) and we've already tried to restore on a Celerra Virtual Machine but it's very very slow....

Any suggestion will be appreciated...

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 10:00

riker82 schrieb:

Second Question: Our File Server backup now consists in 6TB of data volume and 4,5 millions of files, so we'd like to implement Ndmp in the future (on Celerra) in order to reduce backup time.

Can I restore my NDMP backup on a Windows system? On our DR site we don't have any ndmp appliance (only a DataDomain VTL) and we've already tried to restore on a Celerra Virtual Machine but it's very very slow....

Any suggestion will be appreciated...

or dont use NDMP - use regular LAN based backup - that can be be restored by any Netbackup server

75 Posts

November 19th, 2009 03:00

Do I need to change my Backup Software? Currently I'm using Netbackup

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

it depends on the shop, it might be more cost effective to get a smaller Celerra (ns120) for DR site than replacing your backup application.

674 Posts

First question: How can I move my data? Only via network?

Yes, host based over the network is the only possibilty. The Celerra is using its own volume manager and a different file system than NTFS of your windows server.

Maybe a cifs backup and restore is an option, but this will also use the network.

Can I restore my NDMP backup on a Windows system? On our DR site we
don't have any ndmp appliance (only a DataDomain VTL) and we've already
tried to restore on a Celerra Virtual Machine but it's very very
slow....

Normaly, restoring is only possible to the same type of machine, so a celerra backup to another celerra, or a netapp backup to another netapp. Because the format the vendors are using for writing on the tapes is different.

But it seems like there is such a possibility using Commvault, take a look here:

https://community.emc.com/message/431704#431704

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2009 04:00

use some sort of host based replication solution that can replication files from Celerra to a Windows box. Look at Symantec's business continuity section for a list of products.

75 Posts

November 19th, 2009 04:00

It's impossible for us to change Backup Software (we're using Netbackup since 2001)...

and our DR site is in Housing... each device hosted costs $$$$... any other suggestion?

75 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

Do you mean something like Replication Manager?

Currently between our primary site and DR site we've a 20 mbps in MPLS network. We've difficult to replicate Dedup data (with DataDomain)... I cannot imagine how replicate file server data not deduplicated...

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 07:00

riker82 schrieb:

Do I need to change my Backup Software? Currently I'm using Netbackup

then I would suggest to ask Veritas if they have a similar cross-platform restore as CommVault or plan to implement one

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

unless you use Celerra replicator which does block level copy, you will be replicating un-deduped data.

8.6K Posts

or get a small Celerra (NX4) at the DR site for restore and/or replication

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 09:00

riker82 schrieb:

Does exist any way to emulate NDMP host on windows or linux?

there are NDMP servers - like for OpenSolaris - but that alone doesnt help you

the NDMP standard does only regulate the control flow but NOT the format of the actual backup data

for that every vendor implementing NDMP uses his own format (for a good reason)

the backup software like Veritas Netbackup doesnt understand these specific formats - it just treats it like a database server storing a BLOB

so in order to restore a NDMP backup on a different platform you would need a piece of software that understands the Celerra backup format

in the post that Peter pointed to its described that CommVault did write such a software for Windows - other backup vendors are free to do so as well

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i understand your concerns, but it is what it is, enterprise solutions cost money. How about a home grown solution where you use robocopy or something of that nature to copy data from Celerra to remote Windows server.  Initial Robocopy will be a full copy (you can do it onsite before you ship the server to DR site) but after that robocopy will be sending just the changes. Windows 2003/2008 has built-in shadow copy functionality so you could use that to create some sort of revisions. Get a cheap sas/iscsi array and attach it to a windows server at DR site and use it as your target.

8.6K Posts

riker82 schrieb:

thank you but the network bandwith between two sites is only 20 mbps... 6 TB of data are impossibile to keep it online (even with celerra replication)...

20mbps isnt that bad - we got customers doing Celerra Replicator over less

since the replication is only transferring the changes what really matters is the change rate - not the 6TB total

75 Posts

thank you but the network bandwith between two sites is only 20 mbps... 6 TB of data are impossibile to keep it online (even with celerra replication)...

Our DR site is in housing with a Service provider... for this year is HP but probably next year could be IBM (it's business... you know...)

Does exist any way to emulate NDMP host on windows or linux?

75 Posts

I've spent all of Company money in this storage... I cannot ask for more in order to buy a new storage (plus you've to consider that my DR provider ask for money also for hosting my server/storage)
No Events found!