Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2009 01:00

Ndmp backup restored on Windows System

Hello everybody,

We're gonna moving our cluster file server Windows (hosted on CX3-40) to our new Unified Storage Celerra NS-480.

First question: How can I move my data? Only via network?

Second Question: Our File Server backup now consists in 6TB of data volume and 4,5 millions of files, so we'd like to implement Ndmp in the future (on Celerra) in order to reduce backup time.

Can I restore my NDMP backup on a Windows system? On our DR site we don't have any ndmp appliance (only a DataDomain VTL) and we've already tried to restore on a Celerra Virtual Machine but it's very very slow....

Any suggestion will be appreciated...

674 Posts

November 19th, 2009 23:00

Second Question: Do you know how can I restore windows share in my dr site? Nowaday I can do it backing up my lanmanserver registry (on windows machine)...

How can I do with Celerra in order to easily restore on windows server?

There is a utility called sharedup, which copies the share informations between servers.

75 Posts

November 19th, 2009 23:00

Thank you.

Probably it's the only thing that I can do. I'll lose speed backup benefit... But I'll improve compatibility...

Another Question: Our DR plan involves 100 users (instead of 800 like in production enviroment)... Do you think that Celerra Simulator can host 100 users profile (windows roaming profiles) that could be logon all togheter in the same time? (easily, can Celerra Simulator manage randomic access of 100 users?)

Second Question: Do you know how can I restore windows share in my dr site? Nowaday I can do it backing up my lanmanserver registry (on windows machine)...

How can I do with Celerra in order to easily restore on windows server?

Thank you for your help!

75 Posts

November 20th, 2009 01:00

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards!

8.6K Posts

November 20th, 2009 01:00

riker82 schrieb:

Another Question: Our DR plan involves 100 users (instead of 800 like in production enviroment)... Do you think that Celerra Simulator can host 100 users profile (windows roaming profiles) that could be logon all togheter in the same time? (easily, can Celerra Simulator manage randomic access of 100 users?)

no - thats not what the simulator was built for

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 20th, 2009 04:00

i would not rely on simulator for anything that has to do with production, it's not supported by EMC for production.

for your shares you can use "SHAREDUP  /FO:outputFile" and dump share data to a file (maybe schedule  a script every so often). When it's time to test DR, you can use "SHAREDUP  /FI:inputFile" to recreate shares on target.

75 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 00:00

thank you dynamox

One question: With sharedump, Do I need to have my source server (in dr case, celerra cifs server)?

Cause It always ask for a source machine and in our case we don't have any source in DR site.

Thanks

• 

284 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 10:00

The procedure that Dynamox quoted (using "SHAREDUP  /FO:outputFile" and dump share data to a file) would have to be run on the source side at regular intervals, and the "outputFile" shipped to the DR site. In the event you need to re-create your shares, you can use the "outputFile" to do it.

75 Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

Thanks bill.

What's the command line to launch in order to restore my shares if I haven't my source but only my text file?

674 Posts

December 4th, 2009 05:00

As dynamox mentioned: "SHAREDUP  /FI:inputFile" to recreate shares on target.

inputFile is the filename of the previously created outputFile of the original source

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 04:00

Same issues for me, without being able to see the target when creating the file, and the source when implementing the file it fails.

Am i missing a switch ?

No Events found!