August 17th, 2011 15:00

Nested Mounted File System NMFS and Celerra Replicator

I created a Nested Mounted File System.

Used the following commands:

- nas_fs -name Staging -type nmfs -create

- server_mountpoint server_2 -create /Staging

- server_mount server_2 -o ro Staging /Staging

- server_export server_2 -name Staging /Staging

If I'm interpreting the commands correctly, I created a Read Only NMFS called Staging mounted under /Staging.  I can see the mount point within the GUI.

#1 I then created a 5GB File System and mounted it under /Staging/Staging1

#2 I then created a 2TB File System and Mounted it under /Staging/Staging1/Other

#3 I then created a 4TB File System and Mounted it under /Staging/Staging1/Productions

Our users map to \\CIFSServerName\Staging\Staging1 as Staging1$ and they then have access to Other and Productions.

My goal is to replicate these file Systems.  I replicated the Staging1 FS and it created the exact mount point in our destination Celerra.  However, when I attempt to replicate either Other FS or Productions FS they both fail.  I figure it has to do with the mount points/NMFS.

I decided to start from the back and work my way to the front.

I was able to successfully replicate, Productions and it created the mount Point = /Staging/Staging1/Productions

I was able to successfully replicate, Other and it created the mount Point = /Staging/Staging1/Other

I figured it was in the bag.

I went to replicate the 5 GB Staging FS (which we use as a mount point) and it failed.  Are there any specific requirements?

I also created the NMFS Mount Point First but failed as well.

Any Help Thanks,

96 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 05:00

Your NMFS is /Staging

It seems that the Staging1 FS is not needed...

Why not mount the Other FS under /Staging?

Also, why not mount the Production FS under /Staging?

31 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 08:00

It was all politics.  Our users have a mapping to Staging1 (P Drive).  From there they navigate to Other or Productions.

The P Drive comes up as a 5GB Drive Letter.  The deal was after I cut to the new Celerra everything had to look the same.

I hope this answers your question.  Figured this was the only way.

Thanks.

31 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 09:00

Configured the following:

NMFS (Staging)

----------FS1 (Staging1)

---------------------FS2 (Other)

---------------------FS3 (Productions)

I sucessfully replicated FS2 and FS3, mount points are created, ALL Good.

I attempt to replicate FS1 and get the following error:

CFS: 3: A file system is mounted on path /root_vdm_8/Staging/Staging1/Productions which is a sub-directory under the requested mount path /root_vdm_8/Staging/Staging1

Is this even possible?

Thanks,

Damian

8.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 10:00

Please see the manual

31 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 10:00

Which one?

Thanks,

Damian

8.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 11:00

The Replicator manual and the one that covers NMFS (Managing File Systems I think)

31 Posts

August 25th, 2011 12:00

My current findings:

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

NESTING UXFS FILE SYSTEMS UNDER ANOTHER UXFS FILE SYSTEM:

Evidently, our earlier NAS versions (prior to 5.5.27) allowed the nesting of one filesystem underneath another, but this is not

encouraged or really supported

NMFS is not the same thing as nesting one file system under another. Rather, it is the nesting of multiple uxfs file systems under a

common /nmfs file system object and mountpoint, with each uxfs file system having its own mountpoint defined under the toplevel

NMFS mountpoint

/nmfs

/nmfs/fs1

/nmfs/fs2, etc."

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I was able to do this with DART 6.  The only issue:  I CANT Replicate

There's this option as well:

Hidden Option to Nest One File System under Another:

# server_mount vdm2 -nested vdm_fs9 /nmfs_vdm2/test/vdm_fs8/vdm_fs9

vdm2 : done

I will need to decipher the command above, build the environment and test Celerra Replication.

51 Posts

September 28th, 2011 23:00

Thought about using dfs?

--

Jussi

31 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 12:00

Looking into just don't know the commands or how to configure on the Celerra.  When you say DFS you mean via the Celerra and NOT via Windows?  Sorry for the late response.  Any documentation will be helpful.

Thanks

June 22nd, 2015 21:00

We have File System which is of 16 TB now. Since it has reached its max limit, we will not be able to extend this FS. Since user wants it to be single local drive, we are looking for NMFS.

Due to which we have planning to create a new File System and combine with the existing old 16TB File System.

• Please can some body help me to know if this is possible.
  • some explanation of how this new file system along with the existing 16 TB file system would be presented to the VMs that will be using it.

8.6K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 06:00

See the manual

To the client a NMFS looks like one share that has multiple subdirectories – where each component fs is a subdir

June 24th, 2015 00:00

Thanks alot for the update.

Is it possible to make existing FS of 16 TB and new FS of 2 TB as components of a NMFS?

Or all the components of NMFS should be created when NMFS is created. As per my understanding NMFS can be created only during the creation of the FS. Please confirm.

8.6K Posts

June 24th, 2015 03:00

How to find the manual:

input NMFS in the search box on support.emc.com

First result in documentation is the manual

8.6K Posts

June 24th, 2015 03:00

I think so – did you look at the manual covering NMFS ?

It should be spelled out there

No Events found!