Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2012 16:00

Physical data mover to Virtual Data mover during migrations

I have a migration for Celerra NSX to a VNX 7500 and the current config on the celerra has cifs shares on VDMs and also on the physical data mover. Normally you would have a downtime and you can transfer from physical data mover to VDM.

1. But in my case can I do this during my migration downtime?

2. If I can do this, can I move it onto an existing VDM?

3. If I have to tranfer certain files on a VDM or DM, do all the files on that DM go offline or only the ones that are unmounted and made read only..

Thanks.

296 Posts

August 15th, 2012 03:00

have a look at the primus article emc170111 to move the cifs server from physical DM to VDM,

you can create a new VDM and move the cifs server on to that, then replicate the VDM to the VNX.

I am not sure what exactly you meant by this statement :

3. If I have to tranfer certain files on a VDM or DM, do all the files on that DM go offline or only the ones that are unmounted and made read only..

Sameer Kulkarni

5 Posts

August 16th, 2012 08:00

Hello, I would like to revive this topic.

I too will be moving from a NS700 to a new VNXe3300, and I have no VDMs configured on the NS700.

To move the CIFS server and its shares, from the Physical DM to a VDM on the same server, don't we lose our CIFS server specific files? If so, why could I not just Replicate the physical DM filesystems to the new VDM located on the VNX, then create a new CIFS server there, then create shares and export out, after shutting down the CIFS server on the NS700? To create a VDM on the NS700, would just entail another client outage, in addition to the actual move to the VNX. I really dont care about Replicating the NS700 VDM, unless it is the only way to move the environment.

25 Posts

August 16th, 2012 16:00

Chasv, my thoughts exactly..

8.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 02:00

Chasv’s case is different – he is migrating to a VNXe

VNXe doesn’t have virtual data movers

Keep in mind that on a new CIFS server the local user/group SIDS are going to be different – so if these are used in ACLs you need to re-permission that part

No Events found!