Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2009 12:00

Please help me get my ancient NS704G running again.

I have an ancient (2004 manufacture date) NS704G that I'm trying to get running again.  The boot/management luns for the nas were blown away off the cx700 that it's connected to, so I'm trying to do a re-install

I have the Celerra Software CD as well as a boot floppy.

my issue is this...

the celerra software installs just find on the control station, and reboots...

during the NAS Factory Setup step, it's looking for a management switch.  This box has a unmanaged ethernet swtich.

Is there any way to 'force' the install script to NOT look for the management switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-J

PS.  This box is so ancient that it's not worth calling EMC Support to fix, so if I can't figure it out, I guess it's just a big glorified paper weight.

33 Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

Greetings,

This installation message looks to be because the installation script can't find the quad-port serial card in the Control Station.

This then affects the branching on how the script decides if the Celerra is an NS350//NS500/NS600/NS700 generation system (which use the unmanaged, external Ethernet switch). If the script can't find the quad-serial card, then it assumes that the Celerra system must be the NX4/NS20/N40/NS80/NSX type which all have management switches built-in to the Data Movers/Data mover Enclosures).

There is an EMC knowledgebase article, emc115262, which I believe matches your scenario. If you have a maintenance contract, then call out for Field Service. Otherwise, it is a matter of reseating the quad port serial card in the Control Station. then retry your installation.

Regards,

6 Posts

1) what version of NAS code you are trying to install

5.5.24 is what I have CD/Boot Floppy for

2) What is the Backend that you are using now

Backend is a CX700

3) what is the Flare version on the backend

Flare 19 (2.19.700.5.044)

4) how many and what type of disks are there on the backend storage

My flare drives are 5 - 146gb 10k FC

My 'data' drives are roughly 45 - 320gb SATA drives

5) Is it a switched (SAN) environment or directly attached

Directly attached.  I am seeing 'link' lights on both sides of the fiber cables.

6) Are all the internal cables connected on the NS704G - especially the managment switch, internal network cables, serial cables etc.

Yes.  All the cables are attached the way they were originally.

It seems like the issue is that the install script is expecting the management switch to be getting an IP... heck, if it would help, I only need 1 datamover up and running for my lab... I could just connect it directly with a cross-over cable to the CS.

The error I'm getting looks like:

===============================================================================

Starting EMC NAS Factory  Installation

===============================================================================

Setting network parameters:  [  OK   ]

Bringing up interface lo:  [  OK   ]

Bringing up interface eth0:  [  OK   ]

Bringing up interface eth1:  [  OK   ]

Bringing up interface eth2:  [  OK   ]

Bringing up interface eth3:  [  OK   ]

Shutting down  eth0...

Shutting down  eth1...

Shutting down  eth2...

Setting up the internal  network...

Setting up the external  network...

Writing network configuration  files...

Removing network  modules...

Restarting the network with the new  configuration...

Setting up the  Enclosure...

ERROR setting up the  enclosure...

Executing -initSystem option force  mode

Initialize all system Enclosures  Begin ...

Create initial ENCL_DB &  DHCPD_CFG ... OK

Examine  DHCPD_CFG

Perform initial Mgmtswitch broadcast  reset for Primary Subnet .....Cannot detect any Mgmtswitch in this  subnet

Perform initial Mgmtswitch broadcast  reset for Secondary Subnet .....Cannot detect any Mgmtswitch in this  subnet

Perform initial system discovery  .............

Discover 0 Mgmtswitches in Primary  subnet A, 0 Mgmtswitches in Secondary subnet B

Cannot find any Mgmtswitch in this  system

Error: resetMgmtswitches FAIL  (EDISCOVER)

Error: initSystem FAIL  (EDISCOVER)

Error: INITSYSTEM_CMD retval = -4  (EDISCOVER)

----

You need to choose this being a gateway install and CLARiiON being the backend - choose whether Fabric attached (SAN) or direct attached.

At a given point during the install - it will expect the zoning and control LUN creations to be done - which requires some expertise and understanding. At this time on the console all the WWN numbers will be displayed with a prompt "C" to continue. You need to stop here and do the zoning and control LUN creation - configuring the storage group and setting the HLU (Host ID) for the control LUNs in the storage group accordingly.

----

I have enough expertise to do the zoning and control LUNs ... also, I can always look at one of my production environments (NS40G, NS80G, NS-120) to get an idea of how things should look on the drives.

Thank you!

-J

1.5K Posts

Can you please check the Internal LAN cabling - it seems that the Mgmt switch (on the back of the control station) is not found - how many Control stations do you have - one or two? For two control station - the connectivity will be little more complicated.

Please try to find out how they are connected and I can verify if that is correct or not.

Also - please check first whether the internal switch (management switch) at the back of the control station is powered on and you see the connection LEDs.

On the CX700 - do you have the Control LUNs and the zones already configured? If yes - were they used for the previous installation of this NS704G? In that case, you may have to destroy the LUNs and re-create them - or else setup will detect previous installation and quit.

Lastly - after booting from the floppy did you choose serialinstall?

Thanks,
Sandip

1.5K Posts

Hi,

First of all Welcome to the EMC Community Network Support Forums.

This may not be easy to help you at your situation but we can try.

So this is a gateway NS704G - you can not do a Factory Setup - but can run the serial install when booting from floppy and using the software CD.

Now the question is -

1) what version of NAS code you are trying to install

2) What is the Backend that you are using now

3) what is the Flare version on the backend

4) how many and what type of disks are there on the backend storage

5) Is it a switched (SAN) environment or directly attached

6) Are all the internal cables connected on the NS704G - especially the managment switch, internal network cables, serial cables etc.

You need to choose this being a gateway install and CLARiiON being the backend - choose whether Fabric attached (SAN) or direct attached.

At a given point during the install - it will expect the zoning and control LUN creations to be done - which requires some expertise and understanding. At this time on the console all the WWN numbers will be displayed with a prompt "C" to continue. You need to stop here and do the zoning and control LUN creation - configuring the storage group and setting the HLU (Host ID) for the control LUNs in the storage group accordingly.

Anyway - first check whether you can get started or not. However, please note that the Gateway NAS installation is typically done by EMC engineers - not for customer install.

All the best,

Sandip

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 13:00

everything was connected correctly.  Eth0 is definately connected to the management switch.

I plugged a laptop into the management switch and it received a dhcp IP address from the control station and I was able to ping the control station. (192.168.1.100)

One thing I'm curious about tho...

the managment switch is labeled ATI FS708 which comes up in product guides as a UNmanaged switch, so I'm not following how the control station is supposed to be detecting it.  (My background is actually IP WAN and LAN networking).

On my NS40G, the datamovers are plugged directly into the control station (no switch) is there any way I can configure it like that?  I only need a single datamover.

Thanks you!

-J

1.5K Posts

The internal management switch will be connected to eth0 on the control station - which is the 2nd one from Left on the bottom.

So the ports on the CS are like this

eth3          eth2

eth1     eth0

Please ensure that the cable is connected to eth0 - this must be also labeled as NET 10/100 Mb

Eth3 goes to your management network. You can connect the eth0 to any port on the management switch - similarly connect the Private LAN port on each data movers to any port on the switch (I understand this is already done0.

Also, please ensure that the Data movers are connected to the CS through the 4 Serial ports as well.

If you still continue to face the problem - you may try rebooting the management switch and restart the installation process. If possible, power cycle all the components.

If there is no luck after that - I 'll suspect some hardware failure.

Thanks,
Sandip

6 Posts

I did chose 'serialinstall' from the boot floppy

There is only 1 Control Station.

I do see link lights for all 4 datamovers along with the control station port.

which port is the management network supposed to be plugged into?

looking at the back of the control station, there's 4 ports.

the first one was empty (it's immediately behind the power plug for the switch)

the second one is where I believe the switch was plugged into originally

the third and 4th look to be on a card in the chassis.

the left one (3rd from the left) is where the management cable hooks up to my lan (and is working as eth3).

the 4th from the left is empty.

Does that sound correct?

the CX700 Control LUNs and zones are NOT configured.

-J

6 Posts

December 4th, 2009 11:00

Reseating the card WORKED!

Thank you guys for all the help.

I am up and running in the web interface and getting ready to start creating my storage pools and filesystems.

Thanks again for everything!!!

-Jason

No Events found!