Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2011 03:00

RAID GROUPs definition and Virtual Provisioning Questions

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding Celerra :

Question 1

I have to configure an NS G8 with CX4-960 and I want to know if I can configure the RAID GROUPs that I want.

I remember I configured an NS20 before and I wasn't able to choose what RAID GROUPs I can create becaue the RAID GROUPs were generated automatically and prefixed by NS20.

Question 2

The purpose of the project is to define home directory for 1500 users each with 50GB on the NS G8.

In fact, we don't have all of the storage available and we will use the Virtual Provisioning technology. Each user must see 50 GB on his own share.

Is it possible to do that?

Thank you in advance

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 6th, 2011 04:00

1) you will need to create raid groups that are Celerra "friendly", see this document:

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Configure_storage_Non_FC.pdf

2) you can create tree quotas and set hard limit to 50G. You don't have to have all space "pre-allocated" to create 1500 of those.

22 Posts

January 10th, 2011 06:00

So there's no way to define the RAID GROUPs that we want. If I create the RAID GROUPs with Navisphere, will they not be visible by the Celerra?

8.6K Posts

January 10th, 2011 07:00

If you create LUNs on a raidgroup that’s not supported one of two things happen:

- Some will work but that might change in a future OS version or work differently than expected

-

- Or you will get an error when the Celerra discovers the new LUNs and they wont be useable for NAS purposes

22 Posts

January 27th, 2011 05:00

2) you can create tree quotas and set hard limit to 50G. You don't have to have all space "pre-allocated" to create 1500 of those.

How can we create 1500 home directories automatically?

January 27th, 2011 10:00

Easy.  First, read the document Configuring CIFS on Celerra, specifically pay attention to the section "Additional Home Directory Information".

When you use the Celerra's Home Directory service, you can use regular expressions to automatically create shares for users, just by setting regex:create at the end of the home directory file.

There's also an excellent white paper with very clear examples on configuring the home directory service.  Search for EMC Celerra Home Directory
A Detailed Review
- this tells you everything you need to know.

Please let us know if this helps!

Karl

8.6K Posts

January 27th, 2011 15:00

Just use a small Shell Skript

Rainer

No Events found!