Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2009 13:00

Regrading Copying of users and groups from NIS server

Hi,

Can any one explain me how to copy the users and groups from NIS server to datamover?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

April 28th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

can you elaborate what for and what protocols you are using ?

Rainer

8.6K Posts

April 28th, 2009 06:00

that depends on how/if you have been using it on the old system

typcially the Celerra is a NIS client, so you just have to configure it similar to the old NS-X

Strictly speaking for NFS alone the Celerra doesnt need any user/group info - it is just needed for user-mapping in multi-protocol

I suggest to get in touch with your local EMC technical contact, who knows your configuration

45 Posts

April 28th, 2009 06:00

we migrated data from NSX to NSX so i need to know how we should copy all the users and groups of NFS clients from NIS server to new NSX datamovers?

8.6K Posts

April 28th, 2009 07:00

you really need to how your system is setup and what protocols are used

for pure NFS without CIFS or ftp and if you dont care about being able to specify user names instead of UIDs for user quotas the Celerra, like any other NFS server, doesnt need user/group files

for NFS v2/v3 we get the numerical UID/GID values in the NFS request and compare them to the numerical values stored in the file system
thats it - there is no user or group name used here or password

8.6K Posts

we migrated data from NSX to NSX so i need to know how we should copy all the users and groups of NFS
clients from NIS server to new NSX datamovers?

were there any users or groups defined on the old data movers ?

where and why ?

45 Posts

so what you say is that for NFS clients no need to copy the user and groups informtion on new NSX datamovers? will it be copied during data migration ? we used celerra replicator (v1) for data migration.

Thanks
No Events found!