Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2009 10:00

Regrading allocating RAID-5 devices from DMX-4 to celerra

Hi,

I just want to know can we allocate RAID-5 devices from DMX-4 to celerra if we can then to which storage pool it will go? if it will not go to any pool can we create a user defined pool with RAID-5 devices?

Thanks

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 11:00

That's true - in fact the system defined pools are already defined in the system unless someone manually deletes them. Until you have any disk space assigned for that pool, it may not be listed in the nas pool command. When you present the disks to Celerra and run a rescan on the Celerra - the total space will be added to the symm_std pool. You may run the commands from CLI to scan and create the new devices on Celerra as well -

server_devconfig server_x -list-scsi -disk
server_devconfig server_x -probe -scsi -disk
server_devconfig server_x -create -scsi -disk
server_devconfig server_x -list -scsi -disk

In the two list commands, you 'll see the differences in the total disks presented to Celerra. nas_disk -list command will show you the disks.

Thanks,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

yes you can ..search PowerLink for document "Managing Celerra Volumes and File Systems Manually 5.6.39 A03.pdf"

45 Posts

Thank you. suppose if i want to use some devices for user defined pools can i take the devices and add to our user defined pool can you tell me how the exact procedure for that?

Thanks

45 Posts

Thank you for your answer.so when we set emulation=celerra_FBA for RAID5 devices so it will automtically go to system defined pools?suppose this is the first time we are allocating RAID-1 or RAID-5 devices from DMX-4 to celerra it will automatically creates Symm_std pool ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

fibre channel drives RAID-5 and 2-way-MIR will end up in symm_std. If you like greater control you can place them in user-defined pools.

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 12:00

Yes - you can as long as the devices are not in use for any file system or volumes created on them. In the nas_disk -list command, look at the 2nd column which says in use yes or no.

You can add those devices which are showing not used to any user defined pool. Please refer to the "Managing Celerra Volumes and file systems" document for more details.

Thanks,
Sandip

45 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 06:00

Thank you for your quick reply.....

1.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 07:00

My pleasure to be of any help Raja - and I am sure "dynamox" will also state the same. However, a small request - can you please mark the appropriate answers as "Correct" and/or "Helpful" (one correct and 2 helpful) - this will help in any future powerlink or support forum search to find the right answer that helped you and also of course rewarding some points to those who helped. I am sure you will also start getting these reward points by helping others :)

Thanks,
Sandip
No Events found!