Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DJ

March 13th, 2009 15:00

Replicating an NMFS-Is it possible, is there a trick?

[nasadmin@nynas ~]$ nas_replicate -create nylitfs_to_phlitfs -source -fs litfs -destination -pool clarata_archive -interconnect nydm2-to-phdm2 -source_interface ip=xxx.xxx.xx.x -destination_interface ip=xxx.xxx.xx.x -max_time_out_of_sync 10
Error 14764015618: Unable to find litfs.
[nasadmin@nynas ~]$

litfs is the nmfs root. I'd like to replicate it and the component filesystems to DR.

So, I need the NMFS root in place in DR in order to have the namespace and the mountpoints on the other side.

I understand I must replicate the component filesystems separately.

March 16th, 2009 20:00

Bump

674 Posts

March 17th, 2009 03:00

A NMFS not allocating any volume (see page 34 of "Managing EMC Celerra Volumes
and File Systems Manually")

So there is no need to replicate it, regarding data, but of course you need it for the "namespace"

The NMFS information is living in the root_fs of the VDM, so it will be replicated with it.

When you replicate the component FS, it will inherit the NMFS namespace and mountpoints of the source VDM on the destination VDM

Regards
Peter

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 17th, 2009 05:00

Peter,

if NMFS is being export via NFS and it's not part of a VDM, anything special needs to be done ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 17th, 2009 06:00

thank you

674 Posts

March 17th, 2009 06:00

nothing special which needs to be done, BUT:

NFS is not supported or taken care using VDMs.
NFS exports are using the physical datamover, not the VDM
You have to take care the exported names are "equal" and the exports are existing on the source and destination (they need to be manually synchronized).

If you also want the NFS exports to be working (in the failover case) without remounting on the clients (stale nfs handles) then you have to take care the replicated FS IDs (not only the names) are equal on both sides.

March 17th, 2009 08:00

I'm using this for CIFS. I have the NMFS mounted on a VDM which is replicated to DR. I'll fail over my test FS to see if the mounts come up correctly.

Is it OK to use NMFS and CIFS in this manner?

674 Posts

March 17th, 2009 23:00

Yes it is
No Events found!