Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2009 12:00

Rsync from Solaris/Linux server to Celerra share?

Hello all, newbie here.  I'm a windows admin and know very little about Linux and nothing about Solaris so here is my question.  I need to basically backup a directory and it's sub-directories on a nightly basis from both a Solaris server and another Linux (Red Hat) server to a share sitting on my Celerra NS20.  I can make this share either NFS or Cifs(samba) but I am not allow to mount the share on either the Solaris or Linux server.  I've been googling and haven't found anything that talks about rsyncing from a solaris/linux server to a Celerra so I'm hoping someone here can help or at least point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

8.6K Posts

other alternative - if its just a small number of files or large file you could use a small ftp mirror skript on the clients

the Celerra supports ftp natively and its not bad for large files

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you don't need to mount source on the utility server, only the destination (Celerra in this case).  Rsync client on the source machine sends data to rsync daemon running on utility server.

8.6K Posts

what kind of data ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

can you stand up another linux server ? If yes, you could mount Celerra NFS exports on this "utility" linux server, setup rsync deamon and then use rsync from Solaris/Linux clients and send data to this server without needing to mount anything. I am actually doing that right now only with another vendors backend storage.

8.6K Posts

since the Celerra doesnt implement rsync natively you would have to go through an intermediate server that mounts both the srs and dst as dynamox suggested

However I would try to negotiate with the Solaris and Linux admins.

Often they dont want NFS mounts because they fear the problems that non-working NFS mounts can cause during booting and runtime.

First - we have many customers that trust Celerra mounts enough to run their databases and other critical apps directly from a Celerra NFS share.

Second - you could optimize the mount - using bg,intr allows booting of the client even if the NFS mount isnt available

or setup autmounter and ónly mount it when needed - i.e. when the rsync runs

Running the rsync directly on the client would be more efficient - it would also allow the Linux/Solaris admins to restore from there directly and even access any snapshots of the data you might want to take

8.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 13:00

dynamox schrieb:

you don't need to mount source on the utility server, only the destination (Celerra in this case).  Rsync client on the source machine sends data to rsync daemon running on utility server.

true - I forgot

you're still dragging the data over the network twice though

8.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 14:00

dynamox schrieb:

Btw ..how are you replying with "schrieb" , is that based on your preferences set to Germal Locale ?

yes, thats german for "wrote"

like with the timezone I cant make the language setting stick in the forum - I can change it in the preferences but it keeps changing it back :-(

89 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions and this is were my dilemma lies.

1) The 2 servers are turn-key systems and the vendor prohibits us from installing anything on it and the vendor will not allow any kind of exports to be mounted period nor even have access to login to the servers.

2) We are basically a 99.99% windows shop with the exception of these 2 non-windows boxes therefore we only have windows admins here and nothing else.

3) Reason 1 and 2 is why these 2 systems are turn-key in which the vendor does 100% support on them but they also have all these restrictions.

4) The files are mostly average size application files but it does total to 25GB of data from what the vendor tells us as we don't have access.

5) We thought about FTP but another restriction is that we have to run their proprietary API to prep their server before the backup and then another proprietary API after the backup but there are 2 separate version of the API depending if the backup fails or suceeds.

6) This ONE script needs to be created by us without knowledge of their API and we only know the name of directory to backup given to us by the vendor.  The vendor will only just take the script and drop it on their server and schedule a cron job to run it, again because we don't have access to the servers.

Basically the vendor expect us to work in the dark and magically create something to backup their directory and work perfectly the first time and everytime without any kind of testing.

Why don't we just drop this vendor and move to someone better you may ask.  Well lets just say it's all political at the highest level and us peons have no say.

8.6K Posts

25 GB isnt much - if you have the local space then just tar&compress the backup data into one file and ftp it to the Celerra

much simpler than anything else

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

sounds like PGP servers,  am I close ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

if business requirements says you can't mount and they are willing to take performance hit. Btw ..how are you replying with "schrieb" , is that based on your preferences set to Germal Locale ?

8.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 15:00

it you have ncftp there or can put it there it gets pretty simple

see http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/doc/ncftpput.html

89 Posts

That's another problem.  I think this vendor finds the smallest drives out there for their systems, they said there is only 20GB of free space and the only thing supposely on their turn-key systems are the OS and their small application and also they won't allow tar'ing to itself.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

so what are your options? Rsyc, scp ?

8.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 16:00

or if you got a least Perl

http://ossw.ibcl.at/FTPSync/

No Events found!