Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2010 05:00

Shares' Access

Good day,

I'm aware of quotas and permissions for users. But security is my main concern, can I restrict access to a specific share in the Celerra to a specific IP Address or even a specific MAC Address>???

thanks in advance,

Hisham

674 Posts

March 9th, 2010 06:00

and if someone is breaking into your office, all PCs are available ...

A NAS Server does not protect your network against intruders. If you want MAC Filters use a firewall or switches ...

23 Posts

Thanks Peter for you reply,

but once again all that you mentioned are based on a user name and a password, so if those were stolen all the permissions to that exact user will be available to the one having the username and password....

i was looking for more security.....

thanks

674 Posts

Celerra does not support such features like MAC or IP-Address filtering.

There are many features to secure a windows fileserver, like Share Permissions, Folder Permissions, ABE, Windows Passwords ....

59 Posts

March 9th, 2010 06:00

Sounds like putting some firewalls in place is the only way to get you the security you are looking for for windows clients.  Windows in general is a user/group based security system, just like any OS from a local perspective.  Although *nix has network and host based network access available.

You could look at using the windows computer account for access, but in my opinion that is less secure than a user ID.

Sagle

No Events found!