Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2006 08:00

Storage Group for Celerra Question

This is my first post to this fourm and hate to have it sound (to some I'm sure) dumb, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the docs.

We have a CX700 with a NS704g that was set up with "clar_r5_performance" disk pools. Everything works fine; able to expand; much easier than previous. Now I'm looking to adding additional disks to handle "2nd tier" storage such as manuals, docs, etc. that do not require high speed access but are more volitile than stuff we put on our Centera. So, my question is, can I put in a tray of SATA disks; set up a R-5 raid goup; drop it in our "CELERRA" Storage Group; and then create specific file systems on this raid group without causing a problem with the "pooled" raid groups? I don't want the SATA disks in the pool because I want to be able to selectively put 2nd tier storage on them.

Hope this question makes sense to someone.

TIA
Harold Hass
County of Fresno

December 3rd, 2006 15:00

Harold,

Your understanding is correct, from the Clariion perspective, both the Fibre Channel drives and the ATA drives are in the same storage group for the Celerra, (though different raid groups obviously). You can do this yourself, assuming you have the ATA tray installed, however it wouldn't hurt to have a CE help out. There are two manuals that are important to understanding LUNs and file systems using Automatic Volume Manager, "Managing Celerra Volumes and File Systems with Automatic Volume Management" and more importantly to begin with, "Implementing Automatic Volume Management with Celerra" you can find these on Powerlink.

Once you have added the ATA drives, you can create filesystems using the clarata_archive pool, and they will sit on the ATA drives, and not touch the more expensive FC storage.

Cheers,
Patrick

305 Posts

November 30th, 2006 17:00

I moved this thread from CLARiiON after being told that it was more likely to be answered in this forum.
Julie Gibson

November 30th, 2006 18:00

Harold what you want to do is quite feasible, the sata disks will be added to the clarata_archive storage pool on the Celerra, (currently you are most likely using the clariion_r5_performance pool). You can create filesystems specifying the clarata_archive storage pool on SATA disks.
The recommended settings for tiered storage are high performance FC disks for your day to day data, SATA for less important, but volatile data, and the Centera when you don't need to change the data or need it on high performance disks.

90 Posts

December 1st, 2006 11:00

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Would the EMC CE be the one to set up the clarata_archive storage pool or would I do that myself? I'm about 3/4 competent on Clariion/Celerra at this point.

If I understand, the ..r5_performance and ..clarata pools will both reside in the same Celerra Storage Group gracefully and I will be able to create file systems exclusive to the sata drives.

Sorry to belabor the question, just looking to glean some knowledge.

Harold

90 Posts

December 4th, 2006 07:00

Patrick,

That just about covers it! Thanks, this is just exactly the kind of response that makes these forums worth while.

Harold Hass
Senior Network Systems Engineer
County of Fresno
Fresno, CA

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2006 12:00

IF you are using the ATA shelf for storing randomly stored files, and not for backup purposes, then ask the CE to set it up as 6+1 RAID 5 groups. The CE will set up two (6+1) raid groups for you (using up 14 drives, leaving 1 for hot spare).
These raid groups will show up as your clarate_archive storage pool.
No Events found!