Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 13:00

Using symlinks and CIFS clients

Hello guys,

I have a customer who wants to use "junction" points on Celerra. They would like this setup:

\\SERVER_name
\fs01
\fs02

they would like to share root of fs01 and then in there create a symbolic link to fs02. I enabled "followdotdot" and "followabsolutepath" params but now how do i create the actual link ? Do i need to export fs01 to a *nix box and use "ln -s" ?

What drawback are using symbolic links? When windows clients are browsing fs02, SnapSure menu is still available ? Any issues with tree quotas ? I remember reading if NMFS is used you have to umount component file system to set tree quotas ?

Thank you

8.6K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 00:00

Hi,

yes - just use ln -s from a NFS client
the other option would be to use mklink.exe from a SMB2 client or other 3rd party tools that use that SMB2 call

yes, SnapSure and Quotas will work just fine

no restrictions that I know of

There is a difference between SMB and SMB2 clients when it comes to delete a symlink - an "old" SMB client will delete just the symlink, a SMB2 will delete the actual target

674 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 00:00

cd into the root of your fs01 (from linux, f.e. CS)
do a
# ln -s ../fs02 fs02

thats it for the symlink

One of the drawbacks is backup and restore. A NDMP backup of fs01 does not follow this link and will not backup fs02.
In case of the restore, you will have to restore from the fs02 backup, even when users access the data using the fs01 share.

Regards
Peter

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 06:00

Thank you guys.

Rainer,

So Vista is considered an SMB2 client, how would i prevent a user from deleting symlink and blowing away data on fs02, just lock symlink down with NTFS permissions ?

8.6K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 06:00

probably

I think this is the natural behaviour for Windows symlinks but havent tried them on a Windows box

Note that there seems to be a difference about junctions, hard links and softlinks

google for fsutil - there is a number of setting that can be done on the Vista client

Vista and Win2008 will only connect with SMB2 if you have specifically enabled SMB2 on the Celerra

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 4th, 2009 06:00

So i tested this in Celerra simulator:

fs01 on /root_vdm_1/CIFS
fs03 on /root_vdm_1/CIFS2

i created my symlink that points to CIFS2, i can browse to it within windows explorer great. Now i created a folder with a couple of files in CIFS2 directory, created a couple of snapshots, right click on my test folder, properties, Previous versions ...and it's empty. I have to use testfolder\.ckpt to see snapshots that were created for fs03. Is that normal ?

8.6K Posts

July 6th, 2009 01:00

I am not sure how its supposed to work - I suggest to open a service request

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2014 01:00

To my knowledge you must configure VNX/Celerra to use SMB1 only.

disruptive

server_cifs server_2 -add security=NT,dialect=NT1

Otherwise the links wont be usable in the clients.

When that is done you just create symmlinks with ln -s and they will show up as a directory in windows explorer.

server_param server_2 -f shadow -m followabsolutpath -v 3

server_param server_2 -f shadow -m followdotdot -v 1

Patrik

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2014 05:00

No unfortunately not.

I just know that they don’t, we are having a hole site running on SMB1 for just this reason, other vise they won’t work, they become broken in Win SMB2->3 clients.

If you know or anyone else know why or how they can be fixes, especially in SMB3, I would be very interested.

I haven’t found any parameter to fix this behavior, With standard parameter set they become broken.

Patrik

8.6K Posts

June 13th, 2014 05:00

Any reasons why symlinks wouldnt work with SMB2 ?

8.6K Posts

June 13th, 2014 08:00

Have you seen the section in the CIFS manual that talks about symbolic links and SMB2 ?

And the params for symbolic links ?

September 7th, 2016 17:00

export the target share and enable the R2R using fsutil.

Using symlinks and CIFS clients

No Events found!