Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2009 10:00

VDM Copied using IP Replicator

Hi All,

I copied the VDM using the IP replicator so I want to know where can I see all the CIFS shares information and local groups information?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

November 11th, 2009 13:00

you cant until that VDM is loaded which start the CIFS server(s) it contains

do NOT do that while the original VDM/CIFS is still running - you'll end up with duplicate CIFS servers and client problems
you might also want to check that the file systems are mounted on the new VDM correctly

please take a look at the VDM and Replicator manuals available from Powerlink

45 Posts

November 11th, 2009 14:00

Thank You, Ya I will not do it until we get the outage window. So once we set the datamover to loaded we will see all the CIFS shares in CIFS folder right? So there is no need for us to share the file systems again?

Thanks,

45 Posts

Thank you, So once we switch over both the VDM and the file systems can we remove the replication session? As we are doing migration there is no need for us to keep in replication active.And one more thing before we swtich over we need to create the CIFS server on destination side and then Join the domain? So, That once we switch over both the VDM and file systems so they will be able to access the file systems.

Thanks

1.5K Posts

Yes - that's true - no need to share the file systems on DR side again - that's the use of VDM replication.

However, please note that, you 'll not load the VDM at the destination manually - rather run the NAS Replication command to either switchover or failover to the DR side - you can do it from GUI or from CLI. The replication switchover or failover or reverse basically takes care of loading the VDM on the DR side and changing the VDM state of prod side (if available - based on the command you choose) to mounted.

The catch is, only one VDM in a replication pair can be in a loaded state, the other will be in Mounted state.

Also - I am sure you are doing file system replication (user data) as well - once you failover the VDM replication - you need to failover the File system replication session as well - in order to make the data available on the DR side.

Please refer to the Celerra Replicator manual for more details and clarifications.

Happy to post my 2 cents :)
Thanks,
Sandip

8.6K Posts

November 11th, 2009 22:00

Thank you, So once we switch over both the VDM and the file systems can we remove the replication session?

yes

And one more thing before we swtich over we need to create the CIFS server on destination side and then Join the domain?

no, your CIFS server is already there in the VDM and joined
it will come up exactly as the old one - just with a new IP adress

So, That once we switch over both the VDM and file systems so they will be able to access the file systems.

yes

45 Posts

November 11th, 2009 23:00

We dont have any CIFS server on destination side. So it will automatically creates when we switchover the VDM

8.6K Posts

November 11th, 2009 23:00

since the VDM hopefully contained the CIFS server it got copied to the destination

8.6K Posts

November 12th, 2009 00:00

as it is written in the Using EMC Celerra Replicator (V2) manual

8.6K Posts

I think so - just try it
if not - just create a new one

45 Posts

Thank you, Can we change the interface name on destination side while the replication is in progress?

45 Posts

Do we need to have the same interface name on source and destination inorder to switchover?
No Events found!