Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 10:00

VMAX storage addition to VG2 - is there a procedure?

Hi,

I've a Celerra VG2 which i need to expand the main storage pool (out of space) from existing VMAX array.  I am using Unisphere on both for configuration.

Is there a procedure/best practice document on how to do this?

I am presuming sequence is:

Unisphere for VMAX:     Copy existing Celerra device configuration on (with same track size(261336), emulation(CELERRA_FBA), RAID etc).

I will make 5 copies for addition which will provide additional devices to strip across

Bind new devices to same Thin Provisioning pool as existing devices

Add new devices to existing storage group, utilising existing zoning, which should mean devices are immediately accessible on VG2.

Unisphere for VG2:     Rescan Storage System

AutoExtend is Enabled so i should see the pool expand automatically?

In theory this should be simple enough.

467 Posts

March 14th, 2013 00:00

Just keep in mine the Celerra does not (I think, verify current info) support meta devices from the VMAX, remember to use celerra_fba emulation, and not ensure the fa addresses are higher than 10 (the first ~10 are reserved for the celerra os).. Other than that you should be good to go.

8.6K Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

Yes, that’s basically it

Create new devices and make them visible to the data movers

Then run a Rescan from the GUI or server_devconfig from the CLI

I would suggest to look at the data mover logs for errors after the scan

12 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Procedure pretty much same as above - though GUI did not pick up new LUN's in rescan... used CLI

server_devconfig server_2 -list -scsi -all

server_devconfig server_2 -create -scsi -disks -discovery y

The default pool was on auto extend so new LUN's immediately added and pool extended.

Thanks for the pointers guys,

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 14th, 2013 20:00

Mark,

did you dedicate FAs to VG2 gateways ? If you dedicated FAs (how many?) did you disable ACLX so there is no need for masking ..this is something that i used to do with DMX3 and CFS14.

467 Posts

March 15th, 2013 01:00

I actually don't have any symmetrix storage assigned to my celerra environments anymore,  just clariion. However if I were to do it I would dedicate a pair of ports and disable aclx to make it that much easier..

No Events found!