Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2011 08:00

VMware and copying to CIFS slower than physical server

Hi Guys

i have a celerra and i'm having some performance issues if anyone could help ???

Basically when i copy a 100mb file from a physical machine to a CIFS share on the celerra it takes 4 seconds

but if i copy the same file from a Vmware virtual machine it takes 20 seconds

I have tried multiple vm's and the performance is always slower on each one

Is there any specific CIFS settings for VMware ? or VMware settings to improve CIFS access performance ?

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Paul

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 14th, 2011 09:00

nothing specific for CIFS and VMware, get your VMware admin to look at virtual switch configuration on ESX side.

13 Posts

February 15th, 2011 03:00

will do dynamox thanks for the reply :-)

190 Posts

February 15th, 2011 06:00

That's pretty ugly - while this isn't a Celerra suggestion, this is something I've seen in the past with misconfigured vSwitches...

Cisco Switches + Etherchannel or LACP + vSwitch configured with "Route Based on IP Hash" + Dot1q VLAN trunking + Beacon Probing (kinda specific isn't it?) leads to duplicate packets being sent out and extremely poor performance.  If you have Windows VMs it isn't really apparent as to what is going on (Windows just drops the extra packets) but if you have a Linux VM (or ESX with a service console) you'll notice duplicate PING returns - equal to the number of NICs teamed in your vSwitch.  I've seen it flood a WAN link and bring it to its knees.  The fix is pretty easy though - turn off beacon probing.  A shot in the dark but it won't hurt to rule this out...if you look at the VMware website it has to do with including VLAN 4095 on your trunk.  This may be fixed in newer versions of ESX but I'm not in the mood to try it out

Dan

40 Posts

February 25th, 2011 11:00

Just curious if you have Celerra replicator running on either file system.  We have found that when replicator is running, copies to the Celerra are slowed to a fraction of the speed when replicator is not running. 

13 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 11:00

hi there

no we're not using a replicator but its something to keep in mind

No Events found!