Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2010 16:00

celerra 5.6.48 - error accessing CIFS share \\server after switching ip 2 times

on the same datamover but diferent interface i try to test switching the ip address assigned

to a CIFS share server, and i get the following error accessing \\server1 after tryind the second time,

"The specified network is not longer available"

the first time switching ip works fine, the second time i get that error.

i checked that NAS CIFS SERVER is already joined to a windows domain, and is already added with 2 ip address in the DNS table

with the same \\server1 name.

do i have to enable or do something like  wins service, repair network card, run some manual command,  etc.

I thought that the switching ip, is going to happend inmediatly without disrruption.

any idea how to fix this.

thank you

Maynor

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 18th, 2010 19:00

i wonder if the CIFS server had enought time to update its IP in dynamic DNS ..what happens if you try to connect to the CIFS server via IP instead of DNS name ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 18th, 2010 20:00

if you run "server_cifs or server_2"  ..does it say "updated to DNS" after you changed the IP ? What happens if you do "nslookup" on the CIFS server name after you changed the IP ?

295 Posts

the server_cifs command displays

(Update of "A" record failed during update: Operation refused for policy or security reasons)

nslookup works fine

and respond ok with dns name

295 Posts

yes i can connect via ip after switching, but i am unable doing via cifs server name \\server

8.6K Posts

November 18th, 2010 23:00

then it's most probably a client name resolution problem - take a look at the Windows nbtstat

99 Posts

November 19th, 2010 07:00

You may want to run an nslookup against the UNC and the IP.  Make sure these are pointing to each other.  Also, clear the DNS cache on the client trying to access the CIFS.

Also, a CIFS server will not update DNS if there's an entry in it already with the name for the CIFS server.

Hope this helps.

Sebby Robles

eServices Support

EMC Celerra Support

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2010 07:00

Also, a CIFS server will not update DNS if there's an entry in it already with the name for the CIFS server.

what ? I change IP address on my CIFS and its new IP gets updated in DNS (that's what DDNS is for)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2010 08:00

does anybody create those records manually ? ..that defeats the purpose of DDNS and replicator failover is useless at that point.

99 Posts

Let us know if you continue to have issues.  The entry may need to be deleted from DNS and an update ran from the Celerra side.

Sebby Robles

eServices

EMC Celerra Support

275 Posts

If the initial record was manually added then a dynamic update could fail

Claude

99 Posts

You're right.  What I mean to say is that DNS won't get updated if you create a CIFS server and there's already an entry in DNS for that CIFS server.  It will not overwrite what is in there. 

No Events found!