Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2011 16:00

moving vdm from one data mover to another

I am trying to understand the moving of vdm concept.The guide says

"In order to successfully move a VDM from one Data Mover to another, the target Data Mover must

have access to all the file systems (root and production) as the source Data Mover "

what does that mean? how could I mak sure that target data mover is having access to file systems on source data mover?

thanks,

366 Posts

April 30th, 2011 03:00

Hi,

I couldn't find this steatement on the manuals..this would be better like this "the target Data Mover must have access to all disks as the source Data Mover "

The filesystems are mounted on only one DM.

The filesystems will be moved as part of the "nas_server -move" command

This is the part of the manual regarding the VDM's move :

Moving a VDM
When moving a VDM from one physical Data Mover to another, the Control Station performs the following operations:
◆ Unmounts all file systems on that VDM
◆ Unloads the VDM from the source Data Mover
◆ Loads the VDM and mounts all file systems on the target Data Mover
For every CIFS server in a VDM, you must have that CIFS server’s interfaces available and identically named on the physical Data Mover to which you are moving the VDM. Configuring and Managing CIFS on Celerra describes setting up CIFS servers and their interfaces.
The static file, Domain Name System (DNS), or Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) update time must be considered when you try to access the VDM after moving it to a physical Data Mover with a different IP address. Name resolution when moving VDMs on page 27 provides more information.
Move a VDM when using different IP addresses on page 58 and Move a VDM when using the same IP address on page 65 provide the procedures for moving a VDM to another physical Data Mover.

If the filesystem is being replicated, please see primus emc218289.

Gustavo Barreto.

8.6K Posts

May 2nd, 2011 15:00

Actually its the default for a normal Celerra that all data movers see all disks.

Only in rare ocassions with Celerra gateways we would configure it differently - thats why the comment it there in the manual.

Rainer

No Events found!