Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2010 08:00

new shares, same FS, same CIFS server, different DM

Folks,

A basic question:

A CIFS server and its filesystem and shares with permissions, acls, security all currently reside on  a physical DM. If i move this FS and the CIFS server to a VDM, the existing shares wont work anymore, so if i create a brand new share manually with the same name and path as the existing shares but on a VDM instead of DM, will clients be able to access exactly as before, will the  permissions, acls, security, etc on the share be as before?

Thanks a ton

8.6K Posts

If you move the CIFS server to a VDM with the proper procedure all CIFS shares will be automatically “moved” as well and stay instact.

Anything that’s mentioned in the VDM manual will be moved with the CIFS server

No need to create new shares then

47 Posts

Hello Rainer,

You are always there to assist. As far as i have researched so far and also tested, the old shares dont work because they are tied to physical DM. New shares need to be created on VDM. Regardless of what is true, i still want to create new shares manually so please answer my question. Will everything stay the same from the user perspective when i create the new share (like acl, security, permissions etc)?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

Yes, the file/dir ACL’s are going to stay the same if you create a new share pointing to the same dir

Any share ACL’s or ABE settings (that are kept in the CIFS server config and not the file system) you would have to recreate

Rainer

P.S.: If you find shares that aren’t moved with the procedure – that can only be global shares (i.e. share that aren’t assigned to one particular CIFS server). If you have only one CIFS server it should be possible to change them before the move

8.6K Posts

August 17th, 2010 09:00

Did you use the EMC procedure (from customer service) to move the CIFS server from a physical data mover to a VDM?

47 Posts

This is what the emc procedure says:

"Check the shares that must be moved are netbios shares. If not, create them and remove the global since the directory will no longer exist in the original Data Mover after the file system is moved to the VDM. "

All the shares were assigned to a particular CIFS server and not shared by any other server, so i guess that makes it a netbios server, then why the heck did it not move.

I did the following:

Step 1: server_cifs –Unjoin     compname= ,domain= ,     admin=

Step 2: The move operation. server_cifs –move     compname|netbios=

Step 3: the server must be joined if the server is a compname, else goto to step 4. server_cifs –Join     compname= ,domain= ,     admin=

Step 4: The file system exported by the CIFS server must be moved to the VDM. This is done by unmouting the file system from the DM and mounting on the VDM. The same mount point of the file system must be replicated in the VDM since the relative pathnames are maintained in the share database of the VDM. server_umount -perm / server_mountpoint -create / server_mount /

P.S: In the move command, i used compname= instead of compname|netbios = You think this could have made a difference?

1.5K Posts

I know Rainer is helping you out here with his great experience and valuable comments - but please allow me to mention one clarification.

The old shares are NOT tied to Physical DM - rather it is tied to the CIFS server which is on the physical DM. So, as Rainer mentioned earlier, if you follow the proper procedure to move the CIFS server from Physical DM to VDM - every share still remains on the same CIFS server but now on a VDM.

Anyway, if you have decided to create new shares - please note that the Windows Security (ACL on the files and folders) will remain the same - unless you have not used any local users or groups on the CIFS servers. But the share level permission may be defaulted to everyone full control - if you need to modify the share level permission, you have to do it manually. Also, if any users or groups were added to any Local groups (say administrators group or backup operators group) - you may need to check the same is there once the CIFS server is on the VDM - and if needed, add users/groups to local groups.

However, it will depend on what procedure and steps you follow.

My 2 cents

Sandip

47 Posts

In my case, all the shares belonged exclusively to one cifs server but still the old shares didnt work. I couldnt figure a way to change the datamover associated with the old shares. Can you tell me how to change this?. I will do anything you say Rainer

8.6K Posts

Did you have a default CIFS server configured ?

The shares that didnt move – were these global shares ?

Was the VDM empty before the move?

47 Posts

I followed "exactly" what was written in emc170111, but still the existing shares would lsearch for the FS in the physical DM instead of the VDM after the move. It did not understand that the FS and the CIFS server has moved to VDM on the same Celerra. So i had to create new share, pointing to the same FS using same mountpoint but mount it on VDM.

No Events found!