Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2010 06:00

on Dart 5.6.49 celerra - how delete files from old CIFS share without destroy it from de pool

i have info on it restored from a backup, the thing is that i want to repeat the restore on it, but

before  that, i want to delete all the info again, (lot of files). I am unable to format the map CIFS share

so i need to delete with a simple delete button and it takes to much time.

is there any way to delete that info , inititializing the CIFS share file system, without recreate it.

i mean same pool of disks.

mc

99 Posts

July 15th, 2010 09:00

cd /nas/quota/slot_X/ /

You need to determine the root_vdm filesystem.  Then you can CD into the desired path.

Thanks.

- Sebby Robles

99 Posts

July 15th, 2010 07:00

Maynor.

If you are savvy in command line, you could drill down to the path where these files reside and run an rm -f *  in the directory.  This is very destructive and should be handled very carefully.

Please take a look at the following:   http://www.linfo.org/rm.html

Again, the above command can be very destructive, so be very careful.

Thanks.

Sebby Robles

295 Posts

July 15th, 2010 08:00

ok, but how to do that on an specific FILE SYSTEM, in a celerra box

if i use cli via putty to the control station, how to mention an specific

VDM, with the FILE SYSTEM, that i want to clean it up.

celerra manages "VIRTUAL DATA MOVER",  then "FILE CIFS SERVERS", AND

last  "Cifs Shares".

Thanks

Mc.

295 Posts

why?

then i can not use the " rm -f *" comand

99 Posts

Good call dynamox.

The lost&found and etc directories are essential to the DART code on the NAS.

The lost+found Directory

When files are recovered after any sort of problem or failure,they are placed in the lost + found directory, if the kernel cannot ascertain the proper location in the system.

The etc Directory

Unix adminstration can be quite a complex, invovling management of user accounts, the file system,security,device drivers and more.Unix designates the etc directory as the storage place for all the adminstrative files and information.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

if you are in the root of the file system, make sure not to delete ".etc" and "lost+found"

99 Posts

July 15th, 2010 10:00

rm -f * will delete the files in the directory you're in, but will not traverse into the subdirectories.  It is best practice never to share out the root_fs of a filesystem, which is where you would find the lost+found and etc directories.

Again, this should only be attempted if you are familiar with these types of commands and their implications.  Do you have a Unix admin colleague you could consult with?

Thanks

- Sebby Robles

8.6K Posts

July 15th, 2010 11:00

please DONT use the control station for that - use a real network client

there is a reason it's not documented and it will go away in a future version

it's not even the fastest way since the internal networks are often just 100BaseT

and they are needed for internal admin traffic and heartbeats - overloading them can cause instability

sometimes the lazy option isn't the best option

Rainer

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 15th, 2010 15:00

export that file system via NFS to any linux server you have in your environment, 1G network connection.

295 Posts

July 15th, 2010 15:00

And Rainer  any sugestion to delete those file system, fast, without destroy it.

and without impact performance of the NAS

mc

8.6K Posts

July 15th, 2010 16:00

if its a Complete file system just re-create it

296 Posts

July 15th, 2010 16:00

If there is only one share from that filesystem and you want to delete all the files from it then its good idea to recreate it.

Sameer Kulkarni

295 Posts

July 16th, 2010 07:00

yes i just have 1 cifs share defined

recreate what,?

the CIFS share, or the file system,

which of them is the destructive option?

i am thinking forward, if i recreate the filesystem,

that has the following pool info:

volumes     disk group     storage system

d14               0008               clariion ax4

d10               0009               clariion ax4

doing the recreation, does DART create other new volumes yes or not?

contributing this to a generate a fragmented pool on the SAN side

thanks

mc

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2010 08:00

re-create file system, re-creating CIFS share is not going to delete data on the file system.

296 Posts

July 16th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Yes, Recreate the file system but be sure of the data in that safer side keep a copy of backup if possible and recreating the file system,  will create other new volumes and that may be from the different disks as well, but you this will be taken care by the AVM so no need to worry.

Sameer Kulkarni

No Events found!