Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2010 06:00

Best Practices for XAM (eXtensible Access Method): EMC World Developer Track 2010

This year, EMC World is taking place in Boston from 10-13 May. As part of the scheduled sessions, I will be presenting a session on XAM Best Practices:

Session Title: Best Practices for XAM (eXtensible Access Method): The New Industry Standard Access Method for Information Archivig

Session Type: Lecture

Session Length: 1 hour

Level: Advanced

XAM (eXtensible Access Method) is the new industry standard for fixed-content storage. This session introduces XAM concepts, XAM technology, and the Centera SDK for XAM. Code examples are used to illustrate basic XAM functionality such as writing/reading content to/from an XAM-compliant device. This session is intended for software developers.

• Gain a high-level, practical understanding of XAM concepts and object-model.
  • Gain familiarity with the essentials of the XAM API.
  • Understand the benefits XAM brings to application developers

As I begin to prepare the content, I am looking to tailor it to any specific areas that may be of interest to the community at large. Now is the chance for you to have your say on what I talk about!

I will be monitoring this thread over the coming weeks and posting replies to any suggestions that may be forthcoming. I will also provide any updates regarding the location / date / time of the session as I receive them.

So come on ... let's hear from you!

417 Posts

February 4th, 2010 02:00

As well as the this session, I will also be presenting in a joint Celerra / Centera API usage session, and (as you may already have noticed) Paul McKeown will be giving an overview session on various methods of accessing content on a Centera. Feel free to include suggestions for either of these sessions on this thread.

417 Posts

February 16th, 2010 03:00

Did you know that there is now a full XAM Reference implementation available from SNIA? This is written in pure Java (unlike the EMC Java SDK which uses a JNI interface and the underlying C SDK).

136 Posts

February 19th, 2010 08:00

Hi Graham,

Would the session include material / discussion on the retention features supported by XAM SDK and some demo/samples of how to set/trigger retention events using Centera VIM?

Thanks

7 Posts

February 26th, 2010 12:00

re: java

It would be great if there were a 100% java centera api. JNI is evil.

However, unless you are referring to something else, the only XAM 100% Java solution is the reference implmentation at snia.org which is beta quality and hasn't been updated in a year or two. And I doubt it's EMC-supported. I wish it were.

Also, since you still need a VIM and the VIM uses native code, this really only gains you mileage when supporting two XAM vendors. And only some mileage

417 Posts

March 1st, 2010 02:00

Hi Zeeshan - I will be discussing the use of the Retention Features, but given the size of the topic there will be limited use of code samples. I will squeeze this in if I can!

No "active" demo is planned.

417 Posts

March 1st, 2010 03:00

Hi mjb - I understand your issues but unfortunately there are no plans for a a pure Java XAM SDK for the Centera. As I am  sure you will understand, this would involved two completely different code bases and, given the current industry uptake of XAM, we do not have the resources to do this.

The SNIA Reference VIM has been regularly updated, the most recent version being completed in September last year. You can obtain this from SNIA. It does, however, operate on a flat files system and there are no "safeguards" relating to retaining content i.e. it could easily be deleted by a user of the filesystem with appropriate privileges.

7 Posts

March 1st, 2010 08:00

My point is you posted about the pure Java XAM reference, and its not ready for primetime. So it really shouldn't be mentioned.

Also have you TRIED to download the xam and vim from snia? As a normal user? You'll find the links are broken.

417 Posts

March 1st, 2010 09:00

The Reference VIM is not intended for "prime time". It is meant to be used by developers to test their code against without the need to have "physical" XSystem hardware. I mentioned it purely for information for people who were unaware of its existence.

I have not tried the links as I have not need to do so. I download directly from the SVN repository.

Have you tried asking how to get the SNIA VIM on the appropriate SNIA forum (the XAM Developer's Group)? EMC has no responsibility for the distribution or maintenance of the Reference VIM.

417 Posts

April 13th, 2010 08:00

Not long to go now! As a "taster", if you are not familiar with XAM, here is an Architectural Diagram showing how it all hangs together.

XAM Architecture.JPG

11 Posts

May 4th, 2010 14:00

Hey Graham,

We, (StorageSwitch) won't be there.  Bummed that we'll miss your talk.  One good topic, that would probably be interesting would be a comparison to CenteraAPI coding, and also hints to the coder who's already got CenteraAPI in his code - how to move forward.

As always - a pitch towards good metadata.  We continue to run into apps, where the meta is obscured, so that recovery from the media is impossible.  And really - the main purpose of such metadata is two fold - cross-application usage (which almost no one is doing) and prepping for recovery from media (which everyone should be doing).

I know I'm not entitled, but would love a copy of the preso, if that could happen.

Thanks,

Maybe you should play that old Marley tune... "Xammin"

..clark hodge

storageswitch llc

No Events found!