Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2010 09:00

Centera Disk Serial Numbers

Guys,

Does anyone know of a customer facing command that lists the serial numbers of the physical spindles in the Centera nodes.  We need to run via a script to check serials to flag when a disk has been changed for audit purposes.  Happy with the scripting side of it, just need to command!

Cheers,

Olly.

12 Posts

June 11th, 2010 20:00

Hello Olly,

This can be done using Centera Viewer CLI or the stand alone CLI.  This information is stored in the Centera health report that is sent to the customer if ConnectEMC is enabled and also sent to EMC.  The command to generate a local health report is "show report health ", with being the location you would like to save the health report XML to your local disk.  This is an xml file so all of the information for all disks is there under the corresponding node, but you will need to script out how to correlate this for your purposes.

Happy scripting

Joseph P.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 19th, 2010 10:00

I don't think there is a command you can script. But from Centera Viewer, right click a node and select devices, then expand the disks folder. This will show the disk S/N and you can save the details to a text file.

337 Posts

May 21st, 2010 12:00

Hi Olly,

There is no direct method to pull up the serial# information, since we need to Log into the putty (ssh) session which is only available to authorized service personnel from Centera.

If you are unable to use the Centera Viewer to pull up the text file, you may also log a ticket with support who can help you further on this.

Regards,

Bashan

May 27th, 2010 23:00

Hi Olly

There is a nice way to find the information you require. Write a small application using the Monitoring API and retrieve the Centera monitoring stream. In the xml you receive you will find all nodes in the nodelist. Each node contains a driveList and for each drive the whole drive identification is listed and this also contains the serialNumber of each drive.

Store that in a database and run your program once a months to compare the new serial numbers with the stored ones.

I would assume that using the monitoring API is a supported way of retrieving this information.

If you need assistance let me know (holger.jakob@informatio.ch).

Best regards, Holger

8 Posts

June 16th, 2010 06:00

Thanks Joesph - that's great - I've automated the collection of the health report which is then parsed to gather the serial numbers.  Many thanks for your (and everyone else's!) advice.

No Events found!