Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2009 15:00

JCenteraVerify

I assume this utility will allow me to view something I've put up on the developer/temporary area from my new software.

Is there new doc on this utility? I have failed utterly to get it to work either on Linux or Windows XP.

136 Posts

Hi,

Have you tried downloading and installing the Centera Tools? If not, I suggest that you do that. Centera Tools will install JCenteraVerify, CenteraViewer and Centera CLI for you as part of the installation procedure.

7 Posts

Sorry, I was not specific in my post.

I have followed the doc, page Installation 15, and am unable to launch this utility either on Linux or Windows. On Linux, despite carefully doing exactly what it said, it couldn't find some class. On Windows, it does nothing whatsoever from Open With -> Java (TM) platform SE binary, etc.

Thank you in advance for any answer.

7 Posts

Yes, that works much better.

Basically, I am using an IP address and PEA file from the list on https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-1038, thinking it to be a temporary place I can try out my Centera code. It was written a year ago by someone else.

I think I'm putting a few dozen files there and want to verify this is the case. I'm used to using Hitachi HCAP and other storage, plug-ins to my bigger product. We've been using Centera for a year now and I'm enhancing the ability of our customers to move their storage away from one source to Centera, but I need to test this.

How can I verify my "files" are there? Now that I've tried it, JCenteraVerify doesn't seem to be doing that.

Thanks.

7 Posts

December 21st, 2009 16:00

Answering my question...it's probably CenteraViewer. However, I can't log in to what I think is Centera's trial area. I assumed that I could use

and the PEA file

us2_profile3_rdqeDcw.pea

to copy some data, then verify that it's there. CenteraViewer seems to want a username and password rather than a PEA. Inside the PEA, there's not exactly a username and password.

7 Posts

Okay, that works well. I was able to do a poolOpen on 128.221.200.60. I don't have the clip IDs from my work yet, so assuming

a) this is the "trial" place I'm looking for (waves hand in vague Jedi movement)

b) and my attempts to upload data to it were successful

c) and I record my clip IDs

I'll be able to verify that the data got there.

Thank you very much. I would appreciate confirmation of #a above.

7 Posts

Okay.  I still need to check out JCASScript.

However, ...

I don't actually have a Centera installation. I expected, just as I had for Hitachi HCAP, to have access to a temporary (trial) version of Centera through which I could pump just a few files, try out retention, etc., maybe even clean them up and then be done with it.

I cannot draw a correspondence between the username/password that the Viewer and the Centera CLI want and what I get from https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-1038 which I thought was this "trial" version I was looking for.

When it comes to it (after I check out JCASScript), is there a trial version? What is the username/password (despite the PEA files given)?

I think I'm having a hard time isolating the developer parts of the Centera documentation which is pointed more toward administrators. I only want to develop product against Centera. I can't afford, nor do I want, an actual installation.

Thanks.

P.S. If the forum's culture prefers I ask one question per thread, just tell me and I'll do that.

136 Posts

a) That is correct. All Centera clusters available on the list you referred to at https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-1038 are what we call "trial/test" Centera clusters.

Now, just to add further, you can connect to these clusters by either using the PEA files posted on the page above or by using what we call a name/secret combination. In case you were referring to the name/secret combination as username/password and your application requires a username/password, than you can use us3profile2 as username/password (for 128.221.200.64)

Note that in order to verify the data written you will need to use the same credentials (e.g. same PEA file as you used to write the data) and connect to the same Centera you used.

136 Posts

JCenteraVerify is used to test basic Centera connectivity. What you need is JCASScript (also available on the EDN Community Tools page). You can use the clipID (Content Address) you received after writing to Centera with JCASScript to read/view the details.

1. Write files using your application and get a list of the content addresses
  2. Download JCASScript and launch it (check out a discussion thread on using JCASScript)
  3. Open up a pool connection to the Centera you used for writing e.g.
    CASScript>poolOpen 128.221.200.64?C:\US3\us3profile2_rdqew.pea
  4. Use the content address and following command to open up the clip:
    CASScript>clipOpen ContentAddress
  5. Use the following command to view the raw xml format of the clip
    CASScript>clipRawView

and if you just need to verify that the content exists on Centera, you can use:

CASScript>clipExists ContentAddress

Hope this helps.

136 Posts

We do not provide CenteraViewer access for our Online Clusters.

No Events found!