Highlighted
GuatZ
1 Nickel

No new blob

Hi all -

I'm in a small disagreement with my storage team and I just want extra confirmation of something.

I have objects stored on Centera written from approximately 5 years ago whose WORM retention period is soon expiring.  I have written an application to enable ARM/EBR capabilities.  As you know, a new clip ID is generated when using EnableEBRWithPeriod.  From what I know of the process, a new blob is not created, just the new clip that references the original blob.  I can confirm this with the eclipblob value on the documents and the values do match.  I just want extra confirmation from you all that I am understanding the process correctly.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gstuartemc
2 Iron

Re: No new blob

A new clip ID would only be generated if you took an old clip and added EBR to it.

If a clip is created initially with EBR enabled, it only ever is that one clip - when you write the clip on triggering the event the ID remains the same.

No new blobs get generated when an existing clip is modified, just a new CDF that includes references to the original blobs (in the same way that the original clip contained those references).

Graham L. Stuart

Principal Software Engineer

GuatZ
1 Nickel

Re: No new blob

Thanks Graham.  That was my understanding, but having an expert to back me up will be helpful in my discussions.  Cheers!

0 Kudos