Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2012 10:00

Re-purpose Centera

We are no longing using our Centera to archive emails and I was wondering if it is possible to re-purpose it.  We have 11TB of raw capacity and I hate the thought of not utilizing it.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

216 Posts

August 29th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

We'll have to use either CUA or FMA Hardware if we are planning to write data into the Centera using CIFS or NFS.I believe that CUA is no longer supported and we can use FMA only to move data from a NAS device. If we've to write data into Centera directly from a Server then we'll have to use Customized API's as mentioned earlier.

FMA is referred to as CTA(Cloud Tiering Appliance) now.

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

337 Posts

August 24th, 2012 21:00

One way of looking at this is: You can archive other Data apart from emails.

216 Posts

August 27th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

We can use Centera to store any type of data, but data can be written to Centera using API's. So you'll have to develop your own API using Centera SDK's to suite the type of data you are planning to store in Centera. We can also use filesystem options like CIFS and NFS to store data into Centera using FMA or CUA.

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

27 Posts

August 27th, 2012 13:00

Satish,

Thank you for your reply.  I was hoping to be able to use the Centera as a CIFS share but I must confess that my experience with the device is very limited.  When I came on board here at the company, the Centera was already out of use and the former administrator of the system had departed. 

Would you be able to give me some links that would help me to better understand how I might use the system for CIFS? Any information would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

27 Posts

August 30th, 2012 05:00

Satish,

Thank you for your answer.  Do you know of any documentation that helps me to understand the process to customize APIs?

Mark

216 Posts

August 31st, 2012 07:00

Hi,

You should be able to find the documentation for the same on "support.emc.com" under the tab "Support by Product".

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

No Events found!