Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2010 09:00

Reclaiming space?

Is it possible to reclaim space on Centera?

Let's say we have DiskXtender writing files to Centera.  1,000,000 files are written.  We need to move those files to a new server and have a new instance of DX re-write those 1,000,000 files back to Centera.

27 Posts

December 13th, 2010 08:00

If you have x number of files that are no longer needed on the Centera, you can delete it from the Centera using the application that was used to write it. You will be able to delete it provided, the retention period has expired and and there is no litigation hold on the data stored in the Centera. Once deleted the space will be reclaimed by the garbage collection that runs periodically in the background or can also be initiated by the Centera admin and then use the reclaimed space for new data to be archived.

Regards

S.Radhakrishna Bhandary

radhakrishna.bhandary@emc.com

27 Posts

December 9th, 2010 09:00

Hello,

Are you looking at moving the data to a new Centera or a Server?

If you are moving it to a new server, you could just retrieve the data to the alternate server using the API that was used to write to the Centera. Then delete all the data provided it is not a CE + and then use the Centera to archive new data.

197 Posts

December 13th, 2010 07:00

Looking to move data to a new server while keeping the same Centera.  I think I see what you're saying - rather than copy the files from old server to new server and re-write the files back to Centera, configure the new server to point to Centera and have those files created on the server?

I guess another way I can ask this - If I have 50,000 files written to Centera that suddenly aren't needed anymore so they're deleted on the server; does that space get reclaimed on Centera or is it no longer usable?

197 Posts

December 13th, 2010 12:00

Garbage Collection was the affirmation I was looking for.  Thank you.

No Events found!