Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

September 13th, 2019 11:00

Chromebook 3100 2-in-1 Mouse and keyboard stops working

We have 3,000 chromebook 3100 2-in-1 that we just got for this school year and we are getting several complaints about the mouse and keyboard. The mouse disappears and the keyboard stops working. During this time the touch screen still works. Rebooting the computer usually fixes the problem. It's seems like the computer thinks the screen is flipped around in tablet mode. Anyone else getting this problem?

2 Posts

September 18th, 2019 05:00

We are having the same issue with our new 3100s! Once flipped back into tablet mode they get "stuck" in tablet mode and the keyboard no longer works. Very frustrating!

146 Posts

September 24th, 2019 02:00

Please contact DELL to consult.
So upset, when you use it.

1 Message

November 14th, 2019 08:00

Our district has 350 of these devices, and we have been getting reports of the same issue. Aside from sending them in to Dell for repair as needed. Has Dell offered any insight or solutions for this problem to anyone else? 

1 Message

November 22nd, 2019 06:00

We're seeing this issue as well. I opened a case through TechDirect. 

1 Message

February 18th, 2020 11:00

Hi, I'm in Sweden and we purchased Chromebooks for all our students. All of them have the same issue. Has Dell been able to solve it for any of you?

October 22nd, 2020 09:00

I have been having issues with some of the Dell 3100's in our school coming back with this issue. It certainly seems related to the device not returning from tablet mode. Sometimes the device will return to laptop mode, and other times it will remain in tablet mode.

After tinkering around with them and doing a little research, I have found a work around that will get both the trackpad and keyboard working again. This process may be a bit cumbersome to accomplish, but steps 2 & 3 only need to be performed once.

1. Power off the device, and close the lid.
  2. Remove the bottom cover.
  3. Unplug the EMR sensor connector from the motherboard (the small connector above the WLAN/Wifi card), and replace the bottom cover.
  4. Open up/power on the device.
  5. Once powered back up, the trackpad should work again, but the keyboard won't. If the trackpad doesn't work, perform steps 6 & 7 twice.
  6. Close the lid to power the device down (do not use the power button).
  7. Open up/power on the device. Both the trackpad and keyboard should work now.

This looks to be a software/firmware issue that needs to be corrected by an update. It's a temporary fix, but will allow you to use the device normally again.

1 Message

April 27th, 2021 22:00

me too but it thinks it is laptop mode i screen stops working

1 Message

May 11th, 2021 07:00

If you do take it apart and unplug the sensor near the WiFi card then turn on the Chromebook it will reset the tablet mode sensor. I’ve got it to work 85% of the time. 

1 Message

November 30th, 2023 12:27

Not ideal...but have found a workaround since ours are out of warranty.  By hitting the reload key and power button, it brings it back every time.  (This is what is known as a hard reset.)

No Events found!