Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2015 02:00

Compellent Live Volume and Veeam Direct SAN Access

Hi all,

We are studying the possibility to use Veeam Backup Solution to backup our VMware ESXi/ Compellent environnement, using Veeam Direct San Access Mode.

Here are some precisions :

=> A bunch of ESXi servers, connected by FC to 2 Compellent SC8000 Arrays.

=> Datastores are "Live" compellent volumes

=> On compellent side, ESXi server are part of a cluster, mapped with all datastores.

Veeam Direct SAN Access works like all "Lan Free Backup" solution, i.e, we have to zone and map Veeam Server, via FC connection, to all the datastore, and so unable the direct SAN access.

Questions :

=> On compellent configuration side, what's the best job : Should I have to add my veeam backup Server to my ESXi Cluster (but my veeam server is a Windows Server and the Compellent cluster host type is set to VMware Host, so is it really a good idea ?),  OR should I have to leave may Veeam Backup server out of the cluster and map it individually to all the datastores ?

=> Does anyone has experience on this configuration with LIVE volume ?

I have asked Veeam Team for this and I'm waiting their return... But I'm sure that Compellent users could have a interresting point of view...

Thanks in advance.

June 25th, 2015 10:00

Our Veeam server is mapped separately [outside of the vMware ESXi cluster] as read-only, and works great. Using iSCSI though.... YMMV

No Events found!