Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2019 07:00

Compellent SC4020 front LED logics

Sorry for the disturbance, but does anyone know the list of HDD/SSD events, which will cause the front panel LEDs indicating them? 

On a particular SC4020 system I found:

- The failure of single HDD in hotspare pool changed nothing in drive cage indicators state (both LEDs remained green), however, the fault was perfectly registered in web-console;

- The LED control from web-console works fine, both via pop-up menu or HDD replacement wizard;

- The HDD failure in a production pool also did not displayed via HDD cage LEDs.

As for me, this behaviour looks strange, because the periodical 'alarm lamp' visual seeking remains the easiest way to briefly check the hardware state in 'machinery room'. Could that be an SCOS issue?

SC ScreenshotsSC Screenshots

230 Posts

January 11th, 2019 09:00

I can verify that if a spare disk fails it will follow all failure processes of an active disk. This will include a solid amber light on the disk externally. The blinking of a disk only enables when you set to be enable it in DSM. See Enable or Disable the Disk Indicator Light on page 284 of the Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3 Administrator’s Guide: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_administrator-guide_en-us.pdf

230 Posts

January 8th, 2019 18:00

What you are seeing is to be expected. If a hard drive fails it will not necessarily show on the front of the system. The amber light on the front of the system will show for a chassis failure. If a disk fails that specific disk will show a solid amber light when it is ready to be removed. Dell SC4020 Storage System Owner’s Manual https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-compellent-sc4020_owners-manual_en-us.pdf Refer to page 13 for the SC4020 Storage System Front-Panel Features and Indicators Refer to page 19 for the SC4020 Storage System Drives indicators

January 11th, 2019 00:00

Thank You, Bob! Still the Owner Manual or materials, which I searched, does not describe logics much accurately. For example, in my case, one of the hotspare drives became faulty. The correct system behaviour might be as follows: - Register alert in the system to be accessible via web-console or API (done, perfectly); - Activate the steady amber system indicator (done); - Activate the blinking 2/1 drive status indicator (not done); - In web-console, display the drive with amber indicator (not done, indicator remained green - at screenshot). Is it possible the system has 'events value list', and the event like 'spare disk fault' is marked as 'not a subject to display at front panel indicators'?

January 21st, 2019 07:00

A lot of thanks for Your efforts, Bob! We'll wait for next possible events in the system, and clarify the LEDs behaviour.
No Events found!