Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2022 06:00

Compellent SCv2020 with SC120 Exansion - Status Unbalanced

Greetings to all,

I'm Trying to work through a first time issue on a Compellent Storage Center:
Dell SC2020 with SC120 expansion - Status - "Controller ports are currently unbalanced due to a failover."
Issue is on Bottom Controller (SC120) - Status - "Offline" & "Down" - Local port condition shows -"Unbalanced"
All SAS Ports (6) - Status - "Down"

Unit is not under warranty, so I'm looking for the recommended steps to resolve this issue.  I haven't seen anything specific to this issue posted thus far.  

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

SC120 Controller StatusSC120 Controller Status

4 Posts

May 27th, 2022 11:00

Issue was resolved by taking the system offline, unseating & reseating all modules & cables. 

• 

3.3K Posts

May 20th, 2022 10:00

Hello hitman66,

Check this article see if it rebalances:

Storage Center Alert: Controller front end local ports are unbalanced

https://dell.to/3LFOG7e

If that does not resolve please let me know:

Is this a new setup or has it been working and now does not?

Were any changes made or upgrade recently applied?

What is you SC operating system version?

4 Posts

May 20th, 2022 15:00

Hey Charles R,

Thank you for the reply.  I have tried to rebalance the SC but it continues to fail.

The system has been in place for 6yrs and just recently did the failover.

No changes were done to the system. The only historical issue were failed HD's once in while.

OS Version 7.1.12.2

Attached is the Alert Log entry for the event if that helps.

Alert Logs for issueAlert Logs for issue

• 

8.5K Posts

May 20th, 2022 16:00

Hi,

Thanks for the log files. The Port SAS error could be the problem, can you check the cabling?

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 26th, 2022 06:00

Hello hitman66,

Thank you for the update.

Can you gather logs and upload. 

You can upload at:    upload dot dell dot com   under the service tag and Private Message me the controller serial#  so I can retrieve the report.

Compellent logs: https://dell.to/3sXgCg6

4 Posts

May 26th, 2022 06:00

Thanks for the reply.., sorry for the delay was out of the office. Follow is list of things tried to resolve:

1. Removing & Reseating cables

2. Replacing cache batter on Controller - (which is flashing with old & new battery)

2. Followed the replace Controller steps - (1st with original controller & then with a replacement controller)  2a. Note - controller (12G-SAS-4) shows both A & B ports as down  2b. the connecting 6G-SAS-2 also shows A & B ports as down (no green light)

3. Have also tried replacing Enclosure 6G-SAS-2 unit with a replacement with no luck

4. Notification alerts in the following:

'TemperatureSensor 1 8' [StatusAlert]: Temperature Sensor 01-08 in Enclosure - 1 is in a NotInstalled state.
'EnclosureServicesController 1 2' [StatusAlert]: IO Module 01-02 in Enclosure - 1 is in a NotInstalled state.
'SasExpander 1 2' [StatusAlert]: SasExpander 01-02 in Enclosure - 1 is in a NotInstalled state.
'SasConnector 1 4' [StatusAlert]: SasConnector 01-04 in Enclosure - 1 is in a NotInstalled state.
'SasConnector 1 5' [StatusAlert]: SasConnector 01-05 in Enclosure - 1 is in a NotInstalled state.
'EnclosureElectronicsPower 1 2' [StatusAlert]: Electronics Power component 01-02 in Enclosure - 1 is in a Not Installed state

Is there a specific way to determine if this is a hardware failure issue .vs a configuration issus?  Again the SC was working without until this issue.  There were changes and the unit was untouched.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Enclosure-1Enclosure-1Enclosure-2Enclosure-2

No Events found!