Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2017 04:00

Configure-EM-SMIS script missing

I'm trying to configure a SMI-S user to monitor a Compellent storage system. I have followed the instructions in the Admin Guide, but now I'm stuck. The Configure-EM-SMIS.ps1 script is missing. Where can I download this file?

1 Message

May 10th, 2017 12:00

I have the same issue, did you have any luck with getting it?

24 Posts

May 11th, 2017 01:00

No, we logged a call with Dell, but still do not have an answer for the problem.

August 1st, 2017 20:00

there is no script for configuring SMI-S in the newer version of Dell Storage Manager. In the old version you needed to configure SMI-S using PowerShell, but that is not needed any longer

2 Posts

September 21st, 2018 14:00

I have the same problem with the DSM-Data Collector, i was unable to connect them to the monitoring tool.

You mean that we no longer need to add the user to the SMI-S service?

2 Posts

September 21st, 2018 14:00

?

230 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 08:00

Yes, you still need to create a user for SMI-S to work. Refer to page 13 of the Dell EMC SC Series Storage and SMI-S Integration with Microsoft SCVMM
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20438128

On that page it states - Note: DSM 2016 R3 is featured in this guide. Data Collector versions prior to DSM 2016 R1 require extra configuration steps (automated with PowerShell). See appendix B for details.

SMI-S has only been tested on SCVMM per page 331 of the Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3 Administrator’s Guide
ftp://customer:Y3V2s-uH@ftp.compellent.com/DOCUMENTS/680-017-026 DSM 2016 R3 Admin Guide.pdf

Storage Manager SMI-S is compatible with the following combinations of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 and Microsoft Server versions.

49 Posts

January 4th, 2019 08:00

Thank you very much for that document.  That was very helpful.  However I am now stuck at the SCVMM portion.  When I attempt to add, I am getting this error:

Could not retrieve a certificate from the IP ADDRESS REMOVED server because of the error: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Specify a valid server name and port.

ID: 20909
Details: Unknown error (0x194).

I have tried regenerating the Certificate (Self-Sign) on the Storage Center, but it does not seem to correct the issue.  Also want to clarify I am connecting to the IP ADDRESS of the Server running Data Collector correct (and not the Management IP of the Storage Array)?

230 Posts

January 6th, 2019 10:00

You want to establish the connection to the Data Collector and not the Storage Center. You want to create an SMI-S user in DSM per page 13, and per page 16 a matching SMI-S Run As account must be configured on the SCVMM server in order to do storage discovery. To be consistent, the Run As account is named smis and uses the same password as the smis user configured on the Data Collector.

I ran an advanced find and show a case which was open for the same error. Summary of issue with same error message:
Initially we found that NTP to be offset by -32866 on CVM. Resolved that by running script fix_time_skew.py to sync back the time

Then we were unable to add SMI-S Storage provider to 2016 SCVMM.

We made sure DNS is configured on cluster.

Installed intermediate certificates on both the VMMs

Instead of adding storage via GUI ran script via cli via command "setup_hyperv.py setup_scvmm"

That resolved the issue.

This appears to be an issue when using a Nutanix Storage Cluster. Please reference these 2 articles:

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=HyperV-Admin-AOS-v50:hyp-hyperv-setting-up-c.html
http://archive.vn/k1vat - Halfway down the page is an article: Configuring the Nutanix Storage Cluster

No Events found!