Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

79 Posts

May 12th, 2019 21:00

Create disk folder

Hi,

we did the SC120 installation and started the rebalanced raid.

However, we forgot to create the disk folder.

Is it possible to create the disk folder after the finished rebalanced raid?

Thank you.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 13th, 2019 14:00

Hello Sandro Silva Alves,

You can create the disk folder once the raid rebalanced has completed. Here is a link to the administrator guide & if you look on page 87 shows you how to create the folder. https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-storage-manager_administrator-guide3_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

May 13th, 2019 19:00

Hello,

no option appears to create disk folder on SC2020.

On models like SC3020 the option appears.

In contact with the support team, they guided me in doing:

Use the realase disk option for the 1.2TB 10K disks that are together of my 900GB 10K.

And after finishing the data evacuation for 900GB 10K disks, they will appear as unsigned.

Then I'll be able to create the disk folder and move the disks.

But I was reading the manual and it says like this:

"Releasing a disk removes it from the disk folder. You can only release a disk that contains no user data."

So, before the release will I have to do something to free up the space to then release?

I need to know the exact step-by-step procedure to perform without losing data.

Example:

1 - Select the 1.2TB 10k disks and click release;
2 - Wait until no allocated percentage appears as zero; Or the disk appears as unsigned
3 - Click on the disk menu and create disk folder
4 - Move unsigned or empty disks to the created disk folder
5- Execute rebalanced.

I see where I want to go?

sc1.JPGsc2.JPG

Thank you.

May 14th, 2019 21:00

Hi,

If the disks with different sizes, but with equal speeds were added in the same disk folder and the rebalanced was executed.

Just do I run a release on disk, make a new rebalanced that the disks will appear as unsigned?

As soon as I do the release does it rebalanced or do I have to do it manually?

So, can I create a new disk folder and add those disks to this new disk folder?

If I just made a disk to test if all of these options are valid, I mean, if it will actually appear as unsigned and I will be able to create the disk folder. Is this valid to be done or better to do for all disks that have been added and are in the wrong disk folder?

Note: The options for creating a new disk folder that usually appear on the SC3020 line in this SC2020 does not appear. From what I understand, it will only appear when the discs are unassisted.

Thank you.

sc1.JPGsc2.JPG

• 

6.9K Posts

May 16th, 2019 11:00

Hello Sandro Silva Alves,

What you can do is to stop the raid rebalance first.  Once that is done then you can release the disks & they will become unassigned. Once they are unassigned then you can create a new storage type and assign the drives to that storage type.  Once the drives have been assigned then you can create a new volume.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

July 5th, 2019 06:00

I've unassigned disks in a EN-sc2020 but "create folder" doesn't appear in menu

230 Posts

July 5th, 2019 09:00

Hello EARANA,

Please refer to page 232 under Disk Management on SCv2000 Series Controllers of the Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3 Administrator’s Guide: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_administrator-guide_en-us.pdf

The following disk management options are not available with SCv2000 series controllers:
Creating disk folders
Adding disks to disk folders
Managing disk spares

August 15th, 2019 05:00

How can i manage disks on scv2020? I have 2 unsigned disks and I need to put them in the main disks folder.

No Events found!