Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2013 19:00

'End of Life Drives'?

Hi All,

I have a total of four (4) Compellent SAN's (each with dual controllers) and a little over a petabyte of storage.  I have been told a number of drives in my system (the oldest SAN is 5 years old) are entering 'end of support life'.  With that, I have 109 drives I will need to replace in 2014 with more to follow.  If I look at the end of life spreadsheet I was provided I can quickly see things get really ugly down the road as we are heavily invested in Compellent and have a ton of drives.  To make matters worse, I need to buy 5 enclosures for the 109 drives so I can put them in play to sync the data.  Obviously purchasing 109 drives and 5 enclosures is painful when you will gain really nothing after all is said and done. 

Has anyone had experience with this stuff from Dell and how did the process work for you??

I should mention I have two EMC SAN's each with lots of disks.  One EMC is 6 years old and the other is 9 years old.  I have never been told I need to actively replace disks that are getting aged and have never had an issue.  

118 Posts

November 21st, 2013 11:00

End of Life drives are a function of manufacturing making the technology and adequate spares existing to ensure that CoPilot and hardware warranties are capable of being honored. Nothing 'makes' you replace the drives. However at your renewal the systems will be placed in software + T&M hardware support due to the inability to guarantee the availability of that technology. Generally, when drives start to go its a lot cheaper to replace the stuff ahead of time - and on the vain of something for nothing, its a good time to refresh technologies if you have interest in things like SSD, NAS, etc - because you can get something besides replacement disks.

October 6th, 2015 13:00

I disagree that "nothing 'makes' you replace the drives".  We are running into the same situation with drives and enclosures.  Dell will not support the rest of the system unless those are removed from it.  They will not even quote me support past the day those are EOL.

No Events found!