Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2012 08:00

Compellent Series 40, make it work

Hi,

We have a pair of Compellent Series 40 dual controller systems, at two different sites. I am attempting to configure replication, but I seem to get conflicting information depending on who I talk to. Here's the deal - Site 1 uses two subnets for iSCSI, site 2 uses two different subnets for iSCSI - neither of these is routed, thereby keeping their traffic local to the separate iSCSI switches. Replication traffic uses another pair of subnets over a pair of dedicated gigabit links from the controllers which link into our internal switch stack - this is routeable so I can ping each end of the replication link from either site.

Does replication work? No. When configuring it under Enterprise Manager it allows me to select the IPs on the replication links, then it times out waiting for the storage center to respond. If I look at "Remote Compellent Connections" on the storage center, it shows multiple "Target Up, Initiator Down" errors.

Here are my questions - does replication traffic need to be on a separate subnet? Is it necessary to be able to ping the local iSCSI IPs across this link? If it is, and if it is using separate links from the controllers in their own dedicated subnet, then how the hell can this be configured without any kind of uplinks from the iSCSI switches themselves? I need to use dedicated links for replication as I want to use jumbo frames on the local iSCSI LAN - this doesn't work across our WAN, hence the need for separating replication traffic.

I'm sorry Compellent, but there seems to be very little technical information about how to configure your equipment out in the wild - it's all well and good saying your installation engineers configure it, but if it doesn't work there is virtually zero information on troubleshooting publicly available. At the moment, I'm not very impressed :(

JD

685 Posts

September 19th, 2012 10:00

For the questions that you are having I would advise that you call the Compellent Copilot team at 866-397-8673. There you would be able to speak to a Compellent tech that will be able to assist you in this.

38 Posts

September 20th, 2012 01:00

Already have a case open with them, however it would be nice to be able to find technical info regarding replication configuration other than the sales patter of "just 6 clicks to configure replication" which whilst a nice soundbite, is not 100% accurate.

JD

685 Posts

September 20th, 2012 09:00

This link will take you to a PDF that may be helpful. I do agree that some of the info can be hard to find. I will also keep looking to see if there is anything else I can find.

www.google.com/url

I hope this helps.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2013 17:00

Hey JD did you ever get this to work? Running into same issue???

Thanks,

Anthony

38 Posts

June 4th, 2013 01:00

Yep, Compellent themselves dialled in and configured it accordingly. It's been a while now so I can't actually remember what they did, but if you show me your config and tell me what it is you need to do I may be able to help :)

JD

No Events found!