Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2015 15:00

Optimization of Microsoft Virtual Servers Running on Compellent SC8000

I am fairly new to Compellent as we just setup ours about 6 months ago and have moved our physical Microsoft 2003/2008/2012 servers to Microsoft Hyper-V virtual servers via iSCSI to a Compellent SC8000.  I know that the Compellent "FastTrack" technology is an option that we can run on the physical spindle disks of our Tier1 -15K drives and our Tier3 - 10K drives.

However, I wanted to know if anyone runs a defragging or I/O OPTIMIZATION SOFTWARE within their virtual Microsoft servers running on-top of the Compellent SC8000 system. If so, what your thoughts and opinions in regards to performance and optimization.

We currently have licenses for the Condusiv (formerly Diskeeper) V-locity software which is an I/O optimization software for virtual servers.

Your comments are much appreciated.

1 Message

February 20th, 2015 08:00

I know it's against best practices to run defragmentation software on VMWare VMs. I would imagine it's also unnecessary or even counter productive on in this environment.

118 Posts

February 24th, 2015 18:00

Defrag has never been useful in this scenario for me. V-locity changes the I/O pattern such that they consolidate requests at the OS level - that has been useful to me depending on application.  Because of the architecture, things like Defrag and partition alignment generally dont apply to the Compellent. There are application reasons (like indexes) where sometimes an optimization process would be beneficial. Watchout for the impact on Thin Provisioning and make sure you follow best practice to reclaim space.

No Events found!