Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2016 12:00

Powershell List Replica Replays

I am trying to automate DR by creating views of replica replays to mount to hosts. I need to enumerate the replays before I can mount them, but when I try to enumerate replays on replica volumes, nothing is returned.

For example:

Get-SCReplay -SourceSCVolume $myVolume -Connection $myConnection

When $myVolume is a local volume (not replicated) this returns a list of replays. When $myVolume is a replica (from another storage center) this command returns nothing.

Any ideas? Am I going about this the wrong way? I have turned to scripting as the Enterprise Manager Active/Test DR Features are not comprehensive enough to meet my needs.

-Jonathan

28 Posts

July 18th, 2016 13:00

I think if you change your Get-SCReplay line to this, it should work.

Get-SCReplay -SourceVolumeIndex $myVolume.Index -Connection $myConnection

28 Posts

July 15th, 2016 17:00

Jonahan,

Is the $myVolume object valid when you point it to your replica? Does it contain actual data? I am assuming you have multiple SANs at different locations. When you are trying to get the replays for the volume at the DR site, the object is different than your production site.

Your $myConnection is to your production SAN, this will not return a valid object for your volume at your DR site, hence why it's not returning any replays. You need to connect to your DR SAN and point your $myVolume to the DR volume, and if it has replays, it will return all your replays.

13 Posts

July 17th, 2016 13:00

Thank you for the reply.

We have two SC8000s. The "production SAN" system hosts a number of production volumes. The "DR SAN" hosts both production volumes (attached to local production servers) and replicas of volumes from the production SAN. These replicas are what I am having trouble with.

I am running GET-SCConnection to the DR SAN. If I run Get-SCVolume on one of the DR SAN's production volumes, I get volume information and if I pipe that to Get-SCReplay on that same volume I get a list of replays. If I run Get-SCVolume on a "Repl of production SAN volume" I get the volume information, but if I pipe that to Get-SCReplay I get nothing returned. I would test on the production SAN, but there are no replicas currently configured.

If it helps, we are running 6.5.20.

-Jonathan

Edit: Here is the test code that isn't working.

$myVolumes = @()
$myVolumes += "Repl of PBVMDB-GP-012-FA-PBCODB14SP" #Volume replicated from production SC8000
$myVolumes += "MILVM-002" #Local volumes / non-replicated

foreach($volume in $myVolumes)
{
$myVolume = Get-SCVolume -Name $volume -Connection $myConnection
Get-SCVolume -Name $volume -Connection $myConnection
$myReplay = Get-SCReplay -SourceSCVolume $myVolume -Connection $myConnection
Get-SCReplay -SourceSCVolume $myVolume -Connection $myConnection
}

Here is the output

Index Name Status Size SerialNumber
----- ---- ------ ---- ------------
622 Repl of PBVMDB-GP-012-FA-PBCO... Up 1.00 TB 000058c5-00000290
90 MILVM-002 Up 500.00 GB 000058c5-0000005c

Index : 90-2
FreezeTime : 7/18/2016 9:48:54 AM
ExpireTime : Never Expire
State : Summary
OwnedPageCount : 215340
PageCount : 256000
SourceVolumeIndex : 90
SourceVolumeName : MILVM-002
CreateSource : Platform
Description :

(continues to list replays of MILVM-002 volume).

The Get-SCVolume lists both volumes, so I'm fairly confident this is working. But the Get-SCReplay only returns data for the non-replicated volume.

28 Posts

July 18th, 2016 09:00

Jonathan,

From the code you wrote, it should be returning the replays.

Every volume has a replay, even if you haven't taken a "Replay" yet. it's should have an "Active" replay, unless the volume contains zero data. If you look at the volume using Enterprise Manager or System Center, does that volume have any replays and/or contain any data?

28 Posts

July 18th, 2016 12:00

Jonathan,

You can contact Co-Pilot with powershell issues. I have in the past. I would suggest just emailing the main support email and include your HSN # for the SAN that holds the replica volume in your email. They may end up doing a webex to see exactly what is going on.

I know this is a little redundant, but you did actually look at the replays for volume "Repl of PBVMDB-GP-012-FA-PBCODB14SP" on your SAN to see if it has replays on it.

13 Posts

Yes, the list of replays matches both in production on "PBVMDB-GP-012-FA-PBCODB14SP" and in DR "Repl of PBVMDB-GP-012-FA-PBCODB14SP" both in the storage centers and Enterprise Manager. I have opened a ticket with copilot.

-Jonathan

28 Posts

One other think to verify, if you look at your replications, and the one specifically for the volume you are unable to see the replays, do you see the replays at both locations like the example I attached (see screenshot)?

1 Attachment

13 Posts

Yes, these volumes are part of a consistency group that snaps every 15 minutes, so there are plenty of replays. Can we escalate powershell issues to Copilot, or is there someone I can email directly?

Frankly, I'm stumped.

-Jonathan

13 Posts

July 18th, 2016 13:00

You beat me to it! I just got off the phone with copilot, and we discovered that Get-SCReplay -SourceVolumeIndex 622 -Connection $myConnection does work on the replicas! I modified my script as follows, and it's working now.

Get-SCReplay -SourceVolumeIndex $myVolume.Index -Connection $myConnection

This is definitely a bug of some sort, but Copilot will not confirm it is a bug and request a fix unless I upgrade to 6.7 and test there first. That will be left for another day.

Thank you for your assistance!

-Jonathan

No Events found!