Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2019 02:00

SC4020 events log, 500 records limitation?

Greetings to Everyone!

Does anyone know about SCOS log collecting parameters and how to tweak them?

System consists of SC4020 storage and DSM 2016R3 as virtual appliance.

Effect observed: both DSM and Storage logs containing 500 records, which cover about 3 days of operation.

lsk-sc4020-logs-01.png  lsk-sc4020-logs-03.png

As the 'Week', 'Month' and 'Year' choices are exist, I'm suspecting the storage is possible to keep more log records. But I was not able to find the storage or DSM Data Collector (agent) parameter, which limits the log size. Could You help me?

lsk-sc4020-logs-02.png

- Is the 500 log records limitation 'hardcoded' in SCOS?

- If no, how is possible to allow Storage to keep more events in the log?

Thank You!

230 Posts

June 12th, 2019 08:00

Hello polezhaevdmi,
If you do not send your system logs to SupportAssist then my suggestion would be to collect the logs to a Syslog server. Syslog is a way for network devices to send event messages to a logging server – usually known as a Syslog server. If you want to send the logs to the Data Collector and one or more syslog servers, configure the Data Collector to forward the log messages to the appropriate servers. Refer to page 651 of the Dell Storage Manager 2018 Administrators Guide under Send Storage Center Logs to Storage Manager
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-storage-manager_administrator-guide3_en-us.pdf

This will give you the ability to be able to see all logs messages.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 10:00

Hello polezhaevdmi,

From your last picture that you posted you are logged into the remote data collector.  What you will need to do is to login to the primary data collector and then go to the Health tab.  Once on the health tab you will want to select limits tab.  On the limits tab is where you can change the size of the log & pages that are kept.  The log size by default is 1mb.  You can change these sizes to what every you want & save the changes.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

May 23rd, 2019 02:00

Hello, Sam!

Great thanks, I found the limits and set the maximum log size 10 times bigger.

However, this did not help, the log resides truncated to 500 records (I looked at log both in DSM VA and SC client). Should the DSM VA be rebooted to activate maximum log size change? If no, will it be reasonable to update or reinstall DSM VA from scratch to actual 2018 (R1.20) version?

Cheers!

sc4020_02.pngsc4020_04.png

sc4020_01.pngsc4020_03.png

• 

6.9K Posts

May 29th, 2019 07:00

Hello polezhaevdmi,

I checked with a coworker and in DSM, it will only show the last 500 lines.  However, if you have support assist installed we can use that to export the complete log from your SC4020 if you need to look at more lines than the 500.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

May 30th, 2019 04:00

Thank You, Sam, for effect confirmation!

Sadly, we are completely not able to attach that system to SupportAssist (You may examine previous our support requests by it serial number to get info about reason). So, the remaining questions are:

- Is it possible to get the 'combined system event log' using SSH connection?

- Will the DSM in virtual appliance be updated to display more than 500 log records?

Thank You!

June 13th, 2019 00:00

Great thanks, Bob, we planning to deploy the syslog and events analysys facilities in about half of year. Let it be the recommended workaround. Cheers!
No Events found!