Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

4 Posts

July 14th, 2020 18:00

SC7020 the disk folder has one spare,I want addon one disk as spare ,how can  I do?

in the administrator guide :“ A disk class with 22 drives will have 20 managed drives and two spare drives.”

my folder  has 12 disks,one is spare,I want addon one disk as spare ,how can  I do?thanks!

2.9K Posts

July 15th, 2020 12:00

Hello,

What SCOS version are you on? If you're not on a version that supports distributed sparing (7.3+), I would recommend upgrading to 7.4.20. The SC7020 should't do anything with the newly installed drive until you tell it to, so you should get an option for a spare there, if supported. The new drive would be in the 'Unassigned' folder, and the management optons should be in the Admin guide you previously referenced.

4 Posts

July 15th, 2020 18:00

Thanks for your reply!?

my scos is:7.2.11.4, your mean if I want addon the second spare disk, must first update scos?

on this version, if i addon a disk,the disk will  appear "unassigned", there is no option to assign the disk as spare?

the comand line can do this ?

2.9K Posts

July 16th, 2020 07:00

You are not required to update, but it is *highly* recommended. The version you are on does not support distributed sparing and may experience recursion errors and watchdog timeouts. In addition, unexpected controller restarts would likely be the worst possibility. SCOS 7.3 introduced distributed sparing and removed dedicated sparing. Each drive contains a small amount of capacity earmarked as spare space where data is shifted in the event of a drive failure that's evacuated once the failed drive is replaced.

If you do no want to update, you would need to mark the unassigned drive as a reserved spare. Page 263 of the manual lists the process to manage a drive in. You should get an option to mark the drive as a spare.

Once you install the new drive, it will be in an un-managed state by default. It will appear within the unassigned folder.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2020 18:00

thank you for your reply.

I see the guide P263, but I not found the option for add spare,can you tell me ,how to change the "unassigned disk" as spare disk.thanks!

No Events found!