Highlighted
1 Copper

Seperate N4032 & N3024 switches on a Compellent

So I work at a company that is on a tight budget *eye roll*. I had to replace our old Super Micro which I did with a Dell r730. This is our ESXiA - the ESXiB is still on the other old Super Micro. The new r730 is 10GB Base T NICs, the old Super Micro 1GB. I also purchased 1x Dell 8132/N4024 10GB with the 4x 10GB SFP+ Module.

Company plans on buying another server/switch in about 6 months. So in the meantime I have 2 stacked N3024 1GB which I currently have the new r730 &old Super Micro hooked up to. I contacted Dell Support who said the SAN can run separate switches but weren't sure if it would work due to the different speed switches. 

So is it possible to run the N4032 & N3024 as seperate switches to the Compellent SAN? Or I guess wait till they buy another N4032 & stack those & just use the 10GB there. The new 10GB server right now is hosting all our VMs so the ESXiB is really just there as a fallover in case our ESXiA goes down, the VMs would migrate to the ESXiB. So I would like to be able to run the new server at its 10GB & just have the old 1GB server there for backup.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Seperate N4032 & N3024 switches on a Compellent

Hello RonT-IES,

It is best to have the same speed switches connected to your Compellent san.  You can connect up your switches to your compellent, however you might get some latency between your volumes when the data passes through your 1GB switch.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos