Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

79 Posts

April 27th, 2019 09:00

Understanding the configuration of an SC3000 or higher

Hi,

I read this documentation and a question came to me.

Suppose we have a SC with the types of disks: SSD, 15K, 10K and 7.2K.

The client wants to work with the following configuration:

1 - Basic servers will use the 10K and 7.2K disks;
2 - File server will use the 15K disks;
3 - DB server will use SDDs;

No date progession

We will apply the following settings in SC:

1 - Different folder folders for SSD, 15K and 1OK and 7.2K disks;
2 - Storage Profile Tier 1 for SSD, Tier 2 for 15K and Tier 3 for 10K and 7.2K.

- When creating volumes for the basic servers I apply the Tier 3 profile;
- When creating voluems for the file servers I apply the Tier 2 profile;
- When creating volumes for the DB servers I apply the Tier 1 profile.

Then the questions arise:

1 - If the space of the Tier 1 disks ends, even if it dates progression will the data begin to be written on the Tier 2 disks and so on?

2 - Could I use this scenario with date progression? If so, would the data be migrated from Tier 1 to Tier 3 directly without Tier 2?

3 - Does this mean that the Tier 3 space should hold all Tier 1 and Tier 2 workloads, since they can be migrated to slower disks?

Thank you.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 29th, 2019 09:00

Hello Sandro Silva Alves,

If you run out of space in tier1, then your SC will use space that is in the lower tiers. 

If you are using data progression, the unused blocks will get moved to the lower tiers.  Only the blocks that are actively being used will stay on tier1 storage.

Tier3 storage will not hold all of the data that is in tier1 &2.  Tier3 storage you want to hold the data that is not accessed all the time & doesn’t require your fastest drives.  Most customer that I have worked with that use all 3 tiers of storage, don’t have all the workload in tier3.  Only blocks that are not accessed all the time will reside in tier3.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

April 29th, 2019 11:00

Hello,

I understand perfectly.

But if I do not have (Data Progression)? It says in the documentation that if an independent Tier if it is 1, 2 or 3 fill it will transfer the data to the lower Tier.

In this case, regardless of whether the data is in use or not, the new ones will be written in the slowest, right?

Thank you.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 29th, 2019 13:00

Hello Sandro Silva Alves,

If you run out of space in tier1 storage, & there is available space in tier2 or tier3 storage then the new writes will go to tier2 storage first, & tier3 storage once tier2 is full.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!