Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2018 11:00

dell scv3000 setup issues

Has anyone else seen this. When doing the initial configuration with the Dell storage management client, on the Discover and configure iSCSI fault tolerance domains I enter the ip address details and complete the configuration however it gives me the following error and doesn't allow me to continue

Port configuration failed as port at location (controller=Removed by Moderator, slot=1, slotport=3) is not physically connected

All the ports are physically connected and correctly cabled as per specification. Dell support locally has looked at the unit and say there is nothing wrong with the hardware. They have been unable to help us.

Is there perhaps a way to factory reset the unit via command line via the console link?

Please any help will be appreciated.

December 7th, 2018 00:00

After a long and difficult interaction with Dell support we managed to get them to do a factory reset on the unit. Once completed the unit functioned 100% correctly. The feedback we got from Dell support technician was that the unit had a problem with the iSCSI cards and the reset cleared it. The problem is that there is no way for anyone but Dell support to do a factory reset unless the initialization is done. It would be appreciated if a method of reset could be provided bore the initialization is done.

• 

6.9K Posts

November 28th, 2018 08:00

Hello BrandenG-ZA,

The error that you are getting is stating that the connection from your controllers to your switch the cable is not connected.  I would compare your cabling to our deployment guide & make sure that it matches for iSCSI cabling.  https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-scv3000_deployment-guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

230 Posts

November 28th, 2018 09:00

On this model there is no option to do a factory reset. Looking at your system I show all port connections are down. Are you using the proper Twinax cable to connect the Chelsio 10Gb iSCSI Adapter to the switch? If not then this is why the port connections are not being recognized.

November 29th, 2018 02:00

It was my initial thought as well. However I have checked the cabling is as per the setup guide and all the cables show connected both physically on the devices and in the deployment manager. There is no way that these points are not connected.

November 29th, 2018 02:00

In terms of cabling we have completely replaced all the cabling twice and made sure the specification is correct. We have also replaced our storage switches for ones we have in our test environment which we know are working as they run our test system storage. Therefore to the best of our knowledge the physical network is 100% correct.

• 

6.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 07:00

Hello BrandenG-ZA,

I can confirm with what Dell-Bob Mi stated, that looking at your SC3000 it is showing that all backend connections are showing as down.  What color are the lights on your controllers?  Since you stated that you already replaced cables & switches with known good from your test environment & all works I am wondering if there are any issues being reported by your switch? 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 22nd, 2022 23:00

Hi Branden, may i know how much time it took for the factory reset to complete? we need to oerform a factory reset of dell scv3020 compellent and would like to know the time it will take

No Events found!