Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 13th, 2011 05:00

Adding new cisco fabrics

We currently have two separate mcdata fabrics connected to our ns120.  We have purchased two new Cisco 9148 switches and plan to move hot from McData to the Cisco’s.

It’s an all windows environment with powerpath 5.5.

Plan is to connect the cisco’s to the ns using sp ports 4 & 5, leaving the McData’s connected to ports 0 and 1.  Then move one hba at at time to the ciscos.

How will powerpath react to this?  Will it auto recover the link, or will a powermt restore recover the link, or, will a reboot be required.

Issues?

34 Posts

December 19th, 2011 11:00

gunslinger,How are your hosts connected to the SAN,via a single connection to one switch or two connections each to a different switch?

10 Posts

December 19th, 2011 12:00

I've already got it taken care of thank you.

To answer the question, we have two fabrics, each host had two hba's,  one hba per switch, and licensed powerpath.

Because we used different previously assigned sp ports we had to go into engineering mode and logically connect the new paths to the storage group.

Rescanning the disk via windows disk manager found the new paths.

I ran emc reports prior which allowed us to correct a few host issues, and the project went quite well.

9 windows hosts moved, took about a day and a half or 12 hours total, not counting the preliminaries such as emcreports etc.

34 Posts

December 20th, 2011 07:00

gunslinger,I am assuming you have two paths from each windows host to your SAN- are these windows 2003 or 2008 hosts?,in this scenario,when you move one host connection from the mcdata to the cisco,powerpath will failover to the other mcdata connection.You can then manually tresspass the lun(s) to the cisco connection before moving the other host connection to the other cisco switch.You do not need a reboot for the failover either auto or manual.If you have a test system I would suggest you run a test migration to see how your application will react,in most cases it will just be a minor blimp.In a scenario where you are running the full licensed version of pp 5.5 you will get both failover and fault tolerance ,when you move the connections it will be transparent to the application.

10 Posts

December 20th, 2011 08:00

The project was completed 6 weeks ago thanks.

No Events found!