Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2016 17:00

Brocade DS-6505-B FC Switches Licensing Problem

We have 2 x Brocade DS-6505-B FC Switches joined together without any additional License required.

However, if we connect 3 Brocade Switches together, do we need any additional License???

Thanks for any advise.

38 Posts

November 29th, 2016 23:00

yes, the licenses will be sufficient for connecting 3 switches together

38 Posts

November 28th, 2016 23:00

Depending on the supplier of the Brocade switches - the licensing (and some configuration settings like in order delivery) might be different.

Assume that the same licenses (and configuration settings) needs to be deployed on all switches...

Especially, if you are using trunking, fabric watch or maps, the feature must be available on all switches.

You can use the licenseShow command to validate which licenses are installed.

Best regards,

Swen

Swen Jung

Senior Systems Engineer

Dell EMC | Primary Storage
mobile
+49 175 2615219

Swen.Jung@Dell.com

Angaben zur EMC Deutschland GmbH:
Hauptverwaltung und Sitz: Am Kronberger Hang 2a, 65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Amtsgericht Königsstein im Taunus, HRB 2486 | Geschäftsführer: Dinko Eror, Denis G. Cashman
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Weimann

77 Posts

November 29th, 2016 01:00

Do you think the below license is sufficient for connecting 3 x swithes together???

Ports on Demand license - additional 12 port upgrade license

Extended Fabric license

Fabric Watch license

Performance Monitor license

Trunking license

Adaptive Networking license

Server Application Optimization license

2.1K Posts

December 12th, 2016 08:00

The only way you would need additional licenses would be if you were trying to do something with three switches that you aren't doing with the two you have today.

77 Posts

December 12th, 2016 17:00

Dear Allen,

I am going to do it with three switches, does it mean it requires a license????

Actually, I simply want to interconnect 3 switches together so that the connected devices can access one another on 3 different locations, does it require additional license?

2.1K Posts

December 13th, 2016 11:00

Sorry Ed, I may not have worded that clearly. If all you are doing is adding a switch to the fabric and you don't want to enable new functionality then your existing licensing is fine. You should not require additional licenses.

77 Posts

December 13th, 2016 18:00

Dear Allen,

To my basic understanding, when 3 switches are connected together, they will form a single domain with configuration stored into 1 main switch so that they won't become segmented switch.  In this way, we can then configure a zone for interconnecting devices from different switches together.

For this basic function, I won't require extra license, right?

No Events found!