Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2017 03:00

Brocade DS-6505-B Merging

Could some expert confirm to us that the following Brocade Switch Merging work without impact on the Existing Merged Production Pair Switches????

Thanks.

1. Existing Pair of Merged Switch (Firmware FOS 7.0.2) are of switchDomain 1 & 2 having the Merged Configuration defined and in effect.

2. There is a New Switch (Firmware FOS 7.0.2) of switchDomain 1 with no configuration defined and no configuration in effect

3. The New Switch switchDomain is going to be changed from existing 1 to 3 before connecting it to the Merged Pair of Switches

4. Please confirm that we can merge all 3 switches together as connected below without any lost  and impact on existing Merged Configuration.

switchDomain 1------------- switchDomain 2-------------switchDomain 3 (New Switch)

April 21st, 2017 15:00

In addition to what has already been said, check the default zoning behaviour between the existing fabric and the new switch:

• defzone --show

Output will have one of two values, either noaccess or allaccess. To avoid a zoning conflict (and E-port isolation), both must have the same value. The best practice is noaccess.

Also good to check the admin guide for the FOS that you have and search on zone merge scenarios (last time I checked, Brocade publish about 8 pages).

Impossible to say if the merge will be successful, without further details (eg. is the current security policy using switch-to-switch authentication? Are virtual fabrics in use?)

121 Posts

April 18th, 2017 05:00

The new switch will either need to have it's active Config 100% match the existing switches or the new switch will have to have no config enabled to join successfully.

77 Posts

April 18th, 2017 18:00

Could you let me know how to achieve the no config enabled state for the New Switch, thanks???

The cfgshow output of the New Switch is as follow:-

Defined configuration:
no configuration defined
Effective configuration:
no configuration in effect

April 21st, 2017 16:00

EdLam, just to add an additional point to your question. If the merge does not work, then the E_Ports will be isolated, and isolated for a (design) reason. By design, we want to protect the existing production fabric. What I am saying, is that if the merge does not work, I cannot think of a likely reason why it would affect the existing 2-switch fabric.

As always, if you can test this first, that is best (sometimes a luxury). Backup all configurations before proceeding.

77 Posts

April 25th, 2017 18:00

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the useful reply.

When I check with cfgshow for the existing merged fabric, I only see the zone, alias, and effective configuration, and the defzone --show is allaccess.

For the new switch, it has no defined nor effective configuration.

It seems I don't have any other configuration like virtual fabric or security policy of switch to switch authentication, but how do I check it????

April 27th, 2017 05:00

Hello EdLam,

fosconfig --show

and

secPolicyShow

77 Posts

April 28th, 2017 00:00

fosconfig --show is Service not supported on this platform

secPolicyShow and there is nothing in Active and Defined Policy

Does it mean I don't have to concern about the virtual fibric and security policy???

And since the new switch has no defined and effecitve configuration, I just need to set a different domain from the already merged pair and it will then be merged if connected????

April 28th, 2017 03:00

Hello,

This means that you are not using Brocade Virtual Fabrics (not all Brocade switches support the feature).

Also, you are not using Switch Connection Control, SCC, which can be used to restrict switches from joining the fabric.

Yes, you will need to set a unique domain ID and as a best practice set the insistent domain ID flag.  If the merge is unsuccessful then the E ports will be 'isolated', and there will be an isolation reason, which would then help you to troubleshoot.

77 Posts

April 28th, 2017 04:00

Thanks, I will have unqie domain ID for the New switch, but what's the insistent Domain ID Flag is about???

How do I check if the flag has been set and how to set the insistend domain ID flag???  thanks

77 Posts

July 5th, 2017 01:00

Switch 1 (Domani 1) ---------- Switch 2 (Domain 2) ---------------- Switch 3 (Domain 3)

For above merged configuration without a Full Mesh Toplogy, the above Switch 2 is to be used as switching traffic between Switch 1 and Switch 3, does it require any special license????

Below is the Existing License on above Switch 2 (Domain 2):-

Extended Fabric license

Fabric Watch license

Performance Monitor license

Trunking license

Adaptive Networking license

Server Application Optimization license

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

July 10th, 2017 08:00

No, you do not need any special license for this. Trunking might be a good idea if there is a lot of traffic between the switches. You could group multiple Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) into a single logical trunk and the switches will then automatically load-balance across all ports in a trunk. But for that you need Trunking Licenses on both switches that are connected to each other. You already have it on switch2, but it would depend if you have the license on the other switches, too.

No Events found!