Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2008 18:00

Cisco 9124's in Blade Servers

Do we have to enable NPV before turning on the ports on the switches for Blade Enclosures. Would it bring the fabric down if we did not enable the NPV and connected the blades to 9513's?

I mean if we connected an ISL link between the 9124 in the blade enclosure and a 9513 edge switch would the two VSAN's merge and take down the fabric if 9124 were to be a switch with lower WWN or with a higher domain ID?

What affect does the NPV being enable or disable mean to a 9124 which is a new switch and has no zoning database with just 1 VSAN 500 and no servers connected to it and 9513 is a production edge switch with 500 as the production VSAN.

I do understand that if NPV were not enable and blades servers were there then it would cause a problem for the servers to communicate.

Message was edited by:
protoss

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

5.7K Posts

September 26th, 2008 13:00

Uhm... I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt the setting will bring down the fabric (that specific VSAN).

By the way, I noticed you said: "a 9513 edge switch". If you call a 9513 an edge switch, what do you consider a core or director ?

Ciscokid, what's your oppinion on this subject ?

September 26th, 2008 14:00

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure of what is being built and if you are using NPV and NPIV and where they are but I must say that no matter what you are doing be very careful. As the config guide states "When you enable NPV, your system configuration is erased and the system is rebooted with NPV mode enabled." It also provides the summary of the steps as:

1.Enable NPIV on the NPV core switch.Enable NPV on the NPV device.
2.Configure the interfaces connected to the NPV core switch as NP ports.
3.Configure NPV link as an F port on the NPV core switch.
4.Configure server link on the NPV device.

In most circumstances, enabling NPV will be disruptive unless you create alternative paths.

5.7K Posts

September 28th, 2008 05:00

Waaw..... so very disruptive....
We should test this before doing this in a production environment.

128 Posts

September 29th, 2008 10:00

We have another 9513 with 12 port blades as the core switch :-)
and we have 48 port blades in the 9513 edge switch.

Message was edited by:
protoss

128 Posts

September 29th, 2008 10:00

The set up is like this.

We already have production running on a core edge topology. We are introducing C-class blade enclosures to the environment. All the C-class blade enclosures have a 9124 switch. As we have many blade servers running at the enclosure so we are enabling the NPV on the 9124's. and then creating the VSAN's on 9124 and adding the ports of 9124's to the VSAN we create. VSAN we are creating on 9124 is 500. and it is the Production VSAN used by our 9513's.

I hope I was able to put it in the right way.

Here are my questions.

I am thinking that if 9124 were to have a lower WWN than the 9513 then it would take down the VSAN and the zoning database of the 9513,
If the 9124 had a higher WWN and if the domain ID were smaller then something similar would happen.

Is this right? Are these the only two thing that a switch checks when doing a fabric merge or are there more?

and What difference would NPV being enable on the 9124 make a difference in this? What I am thinking is that if NPV were not enable the blades servers installed in the enclosure would not be able to communicate through the fabric. Is there more to it?

Please let know.

5.7K Posts

September 30th, 2008 05:00

Ah ! that explains. I just love the 9513's :)

128 Posts

September 30th, 2008 12:00

I hope I have made my case and it is clear. Please let me know..

September 30th, 2008 13:00

Protoss,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your concerns or your questions. I'd recommend running the plans through EMC Professional Services to assist you in this.

Thank you.
No Events found!