Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2008 15:00

Cisco 9506 Directors

We recently updated our 9506 Cisco MDS Director switches to firmware 3.2(3a). Post upgrade, the Cisco database server and Fabric Manager services that were previously running on our PCs are no longer present. We also attempted a migration of a CX500 and an Exchange three Node Cluster from Brocade to Cisco, when we tried the first CX500 SP migration to Cisco, we could not see the SP logged in via the switch, although the remote end stated that a link was seen via the green LED.

Questions:
Do we need the services running

Could this be a cause for failure ducring the migration

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

5.7K Posts

May 13th, 2008 01:00

Steps for migrating from Brocade (or any other brand) to another brand (like Cisco):

- set up your Cisco switches so you can manage them
- create VSAN's as desired (best practice is not to use VSAN 1 for production data, just for (example) E ports
- connect Storage or hosts to the Cisco switch(es)
- create aliasses, zones and zoneset and do not forget to activate the zoneset
- Activate the used ports (conf t, int fc1/4 or something, no shut)

This should be all.

Message was edited by:
RRR

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 13th, 2008 06:00

We recently updated our 9506 Cisco MDS Director
switches to firmware 3.2(3a). Post upgrade, the Cisco
database server and Fabric Manager services that were
previously running on our PCs are no longer present.

i had a similar issue with Fabric Manager on Linux. Cisco's installer did not create appropriate start up scripts for PostgreSQL and Fabric Manager. Cisco verified it was a problem with their installer and provided me the script. You might want to open a ticket with EMC about that ..they might give you the commands to register Fabric Manager services correctly.

May 13th, 2008 14:00

Hello,

A few helpful pieces of information would be what previous revision of FM were you running, what OS do you have on the hosts, and which version of FM did you install (Server or Stand alone)?

FM was changed under FM 3.2(1a) and above to a new client / server model with different services. Depending on what you installed on what OS you installed them on, things can be very different.

I don't think that the FM issues could be causing the link issues. There might be configuration mistakes through FM that could be causing it but I don't believe how FM is installed should be affecting it at all.

Are you doing the migration yourself or through EMC? Did you replace all the Brocade switches or are you connecting them into the SAN?

Thank you.
No Events found!