Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 18th, 2013 01:00

Cisco interop mode 3 and NPV

Hello all,

I recently installed a pair of cisco MDS 9124 to replace 2 old brocade switches.

To connect the mds's to the old brocades i had to set interop mode 3 on Cisco switches. Everything went fine and now i am left with a pair of working mds's set to interop mode 3.

I know that if i want to change it back to native mode i would have to put it offline briefly but cannot afford it right now because there are some hosts with a single path.

What are the limitations of having a vsan in  interop mode 3? Will NPV work?

Thanks in advance

Gas

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 18th, 2013 03:00

NPV or NPIV ?

19 Posts

December 18th, 2013 06:00

NPIV , the question is whether we will be able to connect a cisco fabric interconnect (operating in end host mode/NPV) later to this san without having to change interop mode on the switch we have now in production.

Thanks

Gas

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 18th, 2013 07:00

i have a test switch in the lab where i can try enabling interop and then try to enable NPIV ..not sure that will prove if i can use an NPV device after that. Would that help ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i have a new set of FI going into place but that will be in a couple of weeks ...i'll ping you then and if  you are still researching we can test it in my lab.

19 Posts

Thank you Dynamox, this is a good idea and i think i could try it myself on an  unused vsan. You don't have to.

Anyway i don't think this will be the definitive answer to this queston.

Unfortunately i wasn't able to find anything about NPIV interoperability between cisco switches in mode 3 on cisco site.

19 Posts

December 18th, 2013 08:00

Perfect

Thanks

26 Posts

December 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi,

I strongly suspect that SAN running interop mode 3 would be able to support a connection to a switch port running in NPIV mode since that switch port should appear as a device port. Additionally, after looking at the Cisco documentation on interop mode 3 and interop mode 2, all of the changes appear to be fabric config type changes to enable E-port (or ISL type connectivity) between the two different switches. Since the NPIV enabled port should appear as a end device, those config changes shouldn't matter. The only caveat I can see if if NPIV cannot be enabled on the switch/port running in interop mode 3 but it appears you are already looking at testing that bit.  Sorry but this is a long-winded way of saying I think the test would be valid.

No Events found!