Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2010 11:00

EMC DS-4400M

We contracted to support an environment for a company. They have a pair of EMC DS-4400M fiber switches, but they do not have any documentation for the login/password.

We need to gain access to the switch, to examine it's current configuration, and also to find out how to get more port licenses. Only 1/2 the ports appear to be licensed and we need to add an additional clariion array which requires additional ports be configured.

Is there any way to get into the switch, without resetting to factory defaults (since it's currently in-use)?

Ron

12 Posts

November 29th, 2010 03:00

1. Set up a null modem (RS-232) cable to the maint port on the back of the switch.
2. Using Hyperterminal, make a connection using the COM port with the following settings:
a. Bits per second 57600
b. Data Bits 8
c. Parity None
d. Stop Bits 1
e. Flow Control None.

3. login via redips

4. issue the following commands:

a. pcp

b. pcppwreset

Then try to log in with the default Administrator/password

-Jeff

542 Posts

October 27th, 2010 11:00

You can try the following users

root

factory

With these passwords

fibranne

serv4emc

brocade1

542 Posts

October 27th, 2010 12:00

Well that sucks since whoever set it up in the first place didn't give support a way to access it in situations like this.  Is it still under EMC warranty?

222 Posts

I doubt it, was installed in 2007. I also need to get the FLARE code updated on the Clariion.

If there is no way to get into the switch, we may have to replace it... I was hoping to find a way in without drastic measures.

By the way, is updating the FLARE somthing a customer can do or do you need EMC to do that?

Ron

222 Posts

Thanks, but I just tried them and they don't work. Ive also tried administrator/password, since that is what the CX array is setup as, but it doesn't work either.

542 Posts

Are you a EMC Partner?  if you are, you should be able to get the FLARE and upgrade it.   I would assume you are since you are going to provide support for this customer.  Many customers can upgrade the FLARE if they have a good understanding of there environment.  But most of the time it is done by EMC, or EMC Partner.

I am not on my normal PC right now but i think i had some document on how to reset a passsword on a Brocade switch.   I will look tomorrow

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 27th, 2010 21:00

also try these two passwords:

fibreanne

if neither work you will need to contact Brocade as they have a bootloader to get into the switch and reset the password.

542 Posts

October 28th, 2010 07:00

No i cant see it.  but you can click on my portrait, and select "send Private message"  then you can give me your email adddress.

222 Posts

Im not sure if you can see my profile, but I have my phone and email in

there.

If not, ill post my email, but would prefer not to if you can see it in

the profile.

542 Posts

I did find that document and if you send me a PM i will send it to you.  I dont know what FOS version you are running but like Dynamox siad,  you will have to give the WWN of the switch to Brocade so they can generate a Firmware that will reset the password.   From what i read in taht document, it requires a downtime.

THanks

4.5K Posts

October 28th, 2010 12:00

I'm going to move this discussion over to the Infrastructure Connectivity group - they may be able to answer this more quickly

glen

190 Posts

October 28th, 2010 12:00

Isn't that a McData switch (yeah yeah I know Brocade owns it)?  Pretty sure you can get into the console and set the password.  The default web login is Administrator but I don't recall the default password off the top of my head.  Those other passwords are for Brocades.

Dan

542 Posts

October 28th, 2010 13:00

Dan  i think you might be correct.  that model# wasnt registering with me as  a normal Brocade.  That will have a completely different access.

Maybe this will help

The hyperterminal settings are:

none

hardware

McData_Password_reset.bmp

222 Posts

October 28th, 2010 16:00

Thanks, ill give this a try. Looks promising.

222 Posts

November 1st, 2010 11:00

Was not able to get into the console. Never could get hyperterm to display anything other than strange characters. I used your suggested hyperterm settings, and even tried the more standard 9600 baud, with no luck.

Seems our only option is to perform a hardware reset of the switch, but im thinking that a hardware reset would also loose the existing licenses, meaning we would have to repurchase them again.

I also looked on ebay for replacements and found a pair, but again, requires a hardware reset which I think will loose the license config.

Do you know where we can find details about a hardware reset? Are there docs somewhere on this switch?

Thanks,

ron

No Events found!