Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2013 10:00

Error: could not open 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\i386\jvm.cfg'

Hello,

We have two Cisco MDS 9000 switches connected to our EMC Clariions.  Suddenly, I am unable to access Device Manager or Fabric Manager.  Each time I click the Start Menu links, I get a Java Virtual Machine Loader dialog box with this error:

Error: could not open 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\i386\jvm.cfg'

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to resolve this?  I've not tried to access either tool in months so I'm not sure what might have changed along the way to cause this issue.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit, and have Java 7 Update 45 and Java 7 Update 25 (64-bit) installed.

33 Posts

November 21st, 2013 06:00

This issue is now resolved.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest versions of 32-bit and 64-bit Java, but that didn't work.  Realizing the error indicated it was looking for a version 6 file, I downloaded and installed the latest version 6 release of Java, and that resolved the issue.  I did have to run the tools as administrator but they worked fine.  Thanks for the help everyone!

(As a side note, my other related issue - access to Navisphere - is not yet resolved; see link below).

Cannot Access EMC Navisphere 6 Anymore

33 Posts

November 19th, 2013 11:00

In other words it's almost certainly a Java issue?  I would tend to agree.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i typically see if i mistakenly upgrade java on my local pc, it's almost never related to fabric manager server itself.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i am still running Java 6 but i believe it should work with 7 as well. Have you tried to re-install Java ?

33 Posts

Thanks!  That would be ideal, however I am getting Java related errors when clicking the links to reinstall them as well   As you said, gotta love Java.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

java is so great, isn't it   . Did you try to reinstall Device Manager and Fabric Manager ? I typically go Star > Programs \ Cisco and uninstall it there. I also delete (or rename) folder under C:\Users\\.cisco_mds9000

33 Posts

I can do that, I just wanted to see if this was a known issue with an easy fix.  I am also concerned about other apps I use that make use of Java.  Nonetheless, I will likely try an uninstall/reinstall shortly.

No Events found!