Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2006 00:00

FC-HBA 5716 in IBM p5 series 570 (Fabric DS-4700M SAN Switch problem)

"invalid attachment" in Operational State while changed Port speed from 4 to 2Gb,
it need to run diagnostic routine to fcs0 to resume Operational State to Online,
is there any parameter need to change to make it stable

128 Posts

December 13th, 2006 07:00

I see this issue with every new AIX machine added to the fabrics. Although my SAN is Brocade based, the behavior seems to be parallel. GlenH's suggestion of deleting the fsc0 device and re-running the cfgmgr does work in our environment. In some cases where the port is stubborn, disabling and renabling that nodes port on the SAN switch helps too. This will cause it to log out and relog back in to the fabric. You can make sure that the settings are correct for the HBA though the smitty screens.

141 Posts

December 6th, 2006 02:00

If its a new connection, you could try removing and rediscovering the device...

# rmdev -d -l fcs0 (you may have to do a recursive delete to remove other devices underneath it also)
Then do
# cfgmgr

If its an existing connection, then i'm not sure if you can change the negotiated speed on-line and you might have to reboot.

AIX HBA's normally automatically negotiate to switched fabric and the correct speed.

143 Posts

December 12th, 2006 04:00

Christopher,

invalid attachment means that the port is incompatible with the other device at the other end of the cable.
There are a string of codes behind the event code with could reveal the the reason. Can you post them or is the problem solved?
cheers,

ed
No Events found!